PTO log splitter, horizontal or vertical?

Yorkie

Good Afternoon,

After a good day at the LAMMA show yesterday, I came home deciding that I need a log splitter, I need to split wood of around 50cm length and various diameters for my log boiler.

After having a good look around I decided that the best two that I saw were the RIKO & Ryetec, both from Yorkshire so even better. But did I miss any good splitters?

I was thinking about a 16T ish capacity.

The things that I just cant decide is to go vertical or horizontal; and to go RIKO or Ryetec. What's peoples thoughts? Price wise the Ryetec was a little dearer, but would not be a deal breaker if I could do a good deal.

I think the main decision is the H or V splitter, please help and discuss.

Cheers

Yorkie

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, we have a vertical splitter, neither of those makes tho.

Wouldn't be without it having used a horizontal I much more prefer the vertical.

We have a reasonable size table on it enabling us to split and turn the ring and split again etc we stand another table next to it and load that with rings so don't have to keep bending down. It's also bang on the right height and don't get back ache standing at it for hours on end.

Bob

I'll try find a better pic lol

image.jpg.05b8ca7d25190a801176104223dc2437.jpg

I have pretty much decided its down to those two.

it's more a decision of what type, would a mf35

lift a 16t horizontal? also have bigger tractor s but would not want to tie them up with the logs.

also a far price difference between the horizontal and vertical version s

Regarding the H vs V discussion - pro's and con's for both.

I deal mostly with sub 12" sized material most would describe as arb waste (I produce 1m billets). 50% of the timber I deal with is not straight in shape, and often contains very twisted grain structure - Thus it had to be a vertical splitter for me. When your dealing with alot of bendy material you need the flexibility of the vertical to allow more accurate centering i.e. regardless of how twisted the wood is it will always sit on a level surface - the cut end of the log being split. This can not be achieved on a horizontal splitter for obvious reasons, resulting in a poorer finished product. Draw backs for V are the fact that you have to do a bit more manual work, and you are always limited to a 4 way split maxand no more unlike the big H which can split 4,6,8 ways etc in one pass.

If I was dealing with big straight timber all day It would have to be a horizontal set up - but bear in mind there are two types of horizontal splitters, the most effective being the type that pushes a log through a set of knifes. You have seen the video's logs that need re-splitting are simply dragged back to the chamber with a small chant hook or sappie. less manual handling required, and they usually have an optional log lift for getting the piece's up.

Edited by rowan lee