no pics?

delabodge

Happy to share this as I only make things for my own use. Not sure that there is anything new about this design, but it was a new challenge for me! Made for my office and finished a few weeks ago. A few colleagues have enquired about commisioning one, but very time consuming to make....... So probably not the basis for a money making design although having worked out the sequence of construction, it would be much quicker if done again.

The top and main leg are a single plank of yew with a natural hole in the middle which was cut and 'folded' into a right angle (dowelled mitre joint) so that the grain is continuous around the corner. The other leg and shelf are made from small diameter branches which were halved, then seasoned followed by cutting into strips which were reassembled as shown. All fixed together with dowels and very long screws so pretty basic construction really.

Andrew

597669f29d503_IMG_1750compressed.jpg.cf1bb1838f0b5711989081f1190841fe.jpg

597669f29a71b_IMG_1749compressed.jpg.dad6d27168913f8ba349564cc229c171.jpg

597669f297aed_IMG_1752compressed.jpg.f7aeb272fe89d29576cbe87ecf27619e.jpg

excellent work there mate.

that sort of construction is time consuming and that is why they cost so much to buy but as you say you now know the construction so should be able to make it alot quicker next time.

take those commissions and just charge materials and the time it takes you. you should make money that way.

so has everybody got shy? not alot of new ideas being thrown around dont worry whilst some people will ineviatable copy your designs,,they`ll never keep up with production, so come on,,what you been up too? :thumbup1::confused1:

Got a half finished dresser in the workshop but it would look pretty rubbish next to that lovely piece above.

Really beautiful table Andrew.

Edited by Paul Barton

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I was fortunate to have a plank that was suitable despite several shakes and the sap wood was starting to rot in places so it might easily have gone on the firewood pile! Just wish I had the skill to turn making stuff into money.........

Andrew

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I was fortunate to have a plank that was suitable despite several shakes and the sap wood was starting to rot in places so it might easily have gone on the firewood pile! Just wish I had the skill to turn making stuff into money.........

Andrew

Have you tried selling your work? It looks highly desirable to my eye. More art than just furniture and that normally means £££££

Have you tried selling your work? It looks highly desirable to my eye. More art than just furniture and that normally means £££££

I've not tried selling anything but it is a pipe dream for the future so who knows? For the time being my family are keen to have everything I make. The 'arty' pieces do take a long time to design and I feel it might be difficult to maintain the creativity if doing it full time. So a few standard themes/designs that can be modified slightly to make 'one off' designs seems the way forward to me plus a big stack of wood!

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...