Anyone fancy teaching a lad to climb like the pro's? :)

YoGi_93

Okay so I may be a bloody long way off climbing like any sort of pro what so ever but I need some confidence inspiring. I know ive put a thread up like this before but im asking if anyone is up for a rec climb just you and me to teach me the ropes (no pun intended ;) ) and inspire a whole lot of confidence. Possibly turning into teaching me chainsaw in a tree stuff? I have got my CS38 and im really eagre to start climbing but im a long way off being able to make my boss money, and he just doesnt have the time to give to train me up so im asking anyone on here :001_smile: the reason I say one to one is because as I say my main problem is confidence and I have a stupid self concious thing going on. Payment in love/money/BEER :thumbup1: PM me if your interested :) oh yeah im near Solihull but will travel :thumbup1:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to remember that climbing isn't just swinging round a tree. You an rec climb as much as you want but without getting a saw in your hand your only going to be half way there. Theres much more to think about when a saws involved doing as much as possible without braking stuff.

Bide your time take any hawthorn or crap climb you get offered and I'm sure your boss will let you climb more

Edited by Frankie Lawrence

So basically your saying the best thing is to just throw myself in at the deep end? I do see what your saying in that it is on me I just need someone to spur me on give me the confidence. Last time I did that he was literally just saying yeah that fork is fine or yeah anchor into that. So really it's just to get rid of the dougbt in my mind, and obviously for safety and all that

You need to remember that climbing isn't just swinging round a tree. You an rec climb as much as you want but without getting a saw in your hand your only going to be half way there. Theres much more to think about when a saws involved doing as much as possible without braking stuff.

Bide your time take any hawthorn or crap climb you get offered and I'm sure your boss will let you climb more

I suppose in a perfect world I could do with coming along with someone local on a little foreigner or something to have a practise. But the odds of that happening is slim

You need to gain confidence on your own mate as your the one in the tree if you want someone to tell you what point is safe to anchor on when they might not be able to see the union or the limb with the same view as yourself. Just start at a company tell them you want to be a climber work hard, let your work do the talking and never turn down an opportunity to climb if there asking if you want to do it they obviously trust you enough to do it, be willing and keen and you will go far unfortunately this isn't an industry were you will get your hand held and all the praise in the world, just keep your head down and let your work do the talking. Arborists will let you know when your doing it wrong if theres nothing bad to say about you thats a good thing.

go on one of those go-ape courses, and use the hardest course.

some are very high and tricky, gives you confidence in the kit, balance and problem solving.

next would some high abseils - again an adrenaline rush and kit understanding.

Then climb a tree, with the right kit! it will feel like a kids playground:lol:

As a few others have mentioned get down the woods away from the footpaths and climb some awkward trees and practice getting right out on branches, you will mess stuff up and learn for yourself in a scenario where you cant cut yourself with a saw. I used to rec climb in the woods every weekend!