Chainsaw injury sites on body

TTS North

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you see the source / credit for the document on the original? I tried blowing it up large but can't fully make it out. Looks something like "US consumer product safety report on chainsaw related accidents 1989" from what I can make out.

Does the data include domestic & professional users? (is there likely to be a difference between the 2?) Not asking, just thinking out loud....

Left hand and leg appear to be the most frequent impact areas. Food for thought....

Can you see the source / credit for the document on the original? I tried blowing it up large but can't fully make it out. Looks something like "US consumer product safety report on chainsaw related accidents 1989" from what I can make out.

Does the data include domestic & professional users? (is there likely to be a difference between the 2?) Not asking, just thinking out loud....

Left hand and leg appear to be the most frequent impact areas. Food for thought....

I don't know if it's still about, but I've seen something published by the FC, I think, in the distant past.

Probably not, I had a cut on the calf thirty years ago after the chain caught the seam and dragged the bar around into the unprotected material and calf muscle.:sneaky2:

Something that Im quite worried about actually. Must get some full wrap pants.....

I read somewhere that the injuries to the left hand were from the days when chainsaws lacked chain breaks, all they had - apparently - was a ridged metal loop or some such thing, which would break the bones in the left hand in the event of a hard kickback. Or maybe the left hand stats are contributed to by guys holding and cutting with their top handles?

Left hand and leg exposure makes the most sense since most end users are right handed.

easy-lift guy

Don't you think its weird though that the left hand gets so many hits, when that's the hand thats always on the handle? When I finish a cut, and move around, my right hand may leave the back handle, but my left is permanently fixed to the front handle. The saw may move, and the chain may come into contact with my body or right hand, but no way the left.

Im not disputing the data, I'd just love to know the reason.

Don't you think its weird though that the left hand gets so many hits, when that's the hand thats always on the handle? When I finish a cut, and move around, my right hand may leave the back handle, but my left is permanently fixed to the front handle. The saw may move, and the chain may come into contact with my body or right hand, but no way the left.

Im not disputing the data, I'd just love to know the reason.

If the data is from the CPSC I believe the stats are based on professional and WEW, non professional use. I have seen some folks over here working in the most self imposed dangerous situations with chain saws and power tools in particular. Still amazed that so many still have all of their own digits.

easy-lift guy