Stihl cobi problem

Mark Bolam

I have a Stihl combi system running a hedgecutter sometimes with the 1m extension bar. I went for the KM 130 R engine, which is a 4-mix.

Used twice this year, no problems.

Today though, it kept cutting out, backfiring and generally sounding really rough. Same batch of fuel used in half a dozen different machines today, and they were all fine.

Any ideas?

i bought the 4mix pole pruner last year mark, runs like a bust couch, really slow on the uptake, never broke down but just not as good as the 2 stroke version.

Thats what I don't get. Has run great since arb-fair last year. Admit the 4-mix engine sounds like a farting motorbike! Until today.

Will have a go at it tomorrow as local dealer down here didn't know what the correct file size was for a 3/8" pitch chain, so I don't trust them to diagnose the problem, fix it and charge me less than 2 weeks labour.

I got a HL100 4mix which never use to want to start and was really slugish on the uptake and use to cut out alot. I put it down to the all in one air filter which seemed to be really restrictive. so i changed it with some less retrictive foam and its no where near as bad.