Just after some info off the pros.

Ding

Hi everyone just after some info off you all.

I have been doing favours for friends and family for a few years pruning trees or removing them alltogether, using the wood for my log burner. Now the way I look at it is I'm not charging for the work so I have never bothered with insurance or training, I have common sense and never done any tree I didn't feel happy cutting within the boundary of the gardens.

Inevitably word soon spreads about your skills, now the advice I need is a friend of a friend requires 4 sycamore trees removing from his garden all growing through a very nice big cherry tree, I would be charging for this job other wise like I have read on here friends of friends of friends will be wanting favours, I have looked into doing cs30/31 and I'm willing to do the training and get public liability insurance just to be 100% legit, is it worth spending about £1000 on the training and look into expanding and doing more jobs or stick to my friends and family?

In no way would I be competing with any local businesses as it will only be on an as and when basis when my shifts allow.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sounds to me like you enjoy doing it and probably will whatever. Only you can decide if it is worth the cost of tickets and insurance at this time. Maybe look at this job to pay for your start up package of training etc. If your already employed then time out to train is maybe the biggest obstacle

If you want to expand a bit and do more trees than you need logs from....

will you start to charge for the work?

All the time you are doing it for free just for the logs that's fair enough.

If you really enjoy it and would like to do a bit for money and 'see where it takes you' then you should get yourself insured. As for doing it safely... that should be the case already.

Doing the essential CS units will give you the bits of paper to show proficiency in the event of any problems or HSE drop in inspection.

There have been threads on here recently regarding unqualified working and people competing with tree surgeons 'just for logs'.

These topics provoke some heated discussions.

Whatever you do, stay within your comfort zone and do it safely at all costs.

A bit of training and insurance is money well spent.

Very few people have deliberately cocked things up big time.

Thanks for the response, I would hope I'm old enough and daft enough to refuse work if it was too big a job, that's why it's been ok to do it just for the wood, an odd day here and there. I really enjoy doing it and understand that issues could arise with just doing it for the wood. I understand you guys being a professional business and having wages and equipment etc to pay for, I'd class it as more of a hobby and helping people out. But looking at the bigger picture it seems there is work out there if your prepared to look for it.

I will see if I can find a course near me and go chat to them see what is required, I have searched on here and looked at the course requirements I'm happy with most of the safety things, maintenance of equipment etc, just the rules and regs I'm not sure of really, but I'm not scared of a revision. Myerscough College is not far from me but seems on the expensive side for the cs30/31? Or is that the going rate.

Time off work (normal employment) should be ok as I work shifts so can arrange it so I have a 5 days off work.

Thanks again I will keep you posted with what I decide.

The price of £1k for a 5 day course plus assessment is very expensive. From experience you should be coming in around £700.

If you haven't got it already, there is then the added cost of PPE - boots, trousers, gloves & lid. Essential gear anyway but mandatory for a course.

If you're looking to wear this stuff all day for a living, the cheap stuff isn't always comfortable. There will inevitably be opinions on this but look to spend around £150 - 180 on boots, similar cost on trousers.

Remember - you're wearing it all day, £30 or £50 may seem a good saving initially, but long term - comfort is key.

Any fool can be uncomfortable, as we used to say prior to a "tab".

Good luck

Russ

Edited by Hobbsurf

Just so that you have a contradictory opinion, I'm going to say stick with the smaller jobs that you don't feel the need for qualifications and insurance for.

I've had to learn to say 'no' to clients (as well as friends) when someone else has under quoted me becuase they want the wood. The person taking the wood is usually mugging themselves (waste wood really has little or no value, and the amount of labour to process it means you earn very little per hour, assuming it's being sold). The only person who wins is the client who gets a cheap job done. Even if you get your quals, you'll probably under sell yourself. If it's a small fell, with no risk - fine, do it for the wood, most arb crews wont make much money on a job like that anyway. But when you get into doing dismantles and climbing, and something goes wrong - you'll wish you hadn't done it so cheap! Replacing a cut rope, or a broken saw, or fixing someones fence - can take all the fun and profit out of a job if you don't charge a decent rate. Plus you will learn that doing climbing work you will need a rescue climber on site, that is unless you don't value your life of course! But if it's something you enjoy, and you want to improve your skills and knowledge then go for it, no one can tell you otherwise, but don't do it to help your mates because I've found working for mates is the thing I avoid the most!

Hi everyone just after some info off you all.

I have been doing favours for friends and family for a few years pruning trees or removing them alltogether, using the wood for my log burner. Now the way I look at it is I'm not charging for the work so I have never bothered with insurance or training, I have common sense and never done any tree I didn't feel happy cutting within the boundary of the gardens.

Inevitably word soon spreads about your skills, now the advice I need is a friend of a friend requires 4 sycamore trees removing from his garden all growing through a very nice big cherry tree, I would be charging for this job other wise like I have read on here friends of friends of friends will be wanting favours, I have looked into doing cs30/31 and I'm willing to do the training and get public liability insurance just to be 100% legit, is it worth spending about £1000 on the training and look into expanding and doing more jobs or stick to my friends and family?

In no way would I be competing with any local businesses as it will only be on an as and when basis when my shifts allow.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I found myself in the more or less the same position. We started a grounds maintenance business and soon had people asking us to take care of the trees at first it was simple stuff as time went on it became more complex I got my cs tickets and found a good climber who could take care of everything. It gives you the opportunity to learn and earn. We were lucky to find a climber that who had all his Arb certs and was happy to help.

You only get one chance at doing stuff what's the worst that could happen?

I have all ready got the safety stuff (wouldn't dream of using a saw without it), I got the stihl hi flex pants, some husqvarna boots and a hat with mesh visor and ear defenders.

The 1k was the outside budget for the course and insurance.

Thanks for reminding me, I'm happy as I am doing it for friends, but and there is always a but its always in the back of my mind 'what if'.

I also understand I'm probably overall paying over the odds for the wood if you include my time and equipment etc, that's why I thought it would be good to claw a bit of the money back now I have a chance.