Mortgage / loan for woodland?

Hi all

Just wondering, can anyone recommend a company that will offer a mortgage or loan at a non-horrific rate for the purchase of woodland / land? (Not a huge amount of actual money, and maybe 50 - 75% of likely purchase value). I've tried the usual suspects, but get either blank looks or hideous rates as it's for land rather than property.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Unfortunately you are experiencing the consequences of the credit crunch.

Prior to the recession banks were making crazy lending decisions (for example 105% mortgages etc). Now lending institutions are making equally stupid decisions by looking primarily at their security position of assets pledged which they discount to a fire sale value.

On the basis that you have already tried your own bank/building society, i suggest you go to your accountant or a mortgage broker who should know which lenders are worth approaching for the project you have in mind.

Lending institutions these days are little more than glorified pawn shops. I think you will struggle to get anywhere near a 75% mortgage for woodlands unless you show that it can consistently generate sufficient income to cover mortgage payments 1.5 times. Even then, they will compare their perception of its fire sale value against the proposed loan and if there is a gap they will probably look for additional security from somewhere (second charge on house/personal guarantee etc) as additional cover.

Thanks guys.

Yes, bloody credit crunch. No pension, so that's not an option. But Ecology (also recommended by the finance section at Woodlands) does look to be the best option I've found so far - still 6 - 7% though. Hmm.

Possibly better to buy land with a house needing renovation on it, that way you can still get a normal-ish mortgage...

Thanks guys.

Yes, bloody credit crunch. No pension, so that's not an option. But Ecology (also recommended by the finance section at Woodlands) does look to be the best option I've found so far - still 6 - 7% though. Hmm.

6-7% is not too bad really. Especially as it sounds like they know what they are doing. Another option could be to release equity from your house.