neighbours tallish conifer needs attention

likeitorlumpit

This is not a problem quite yet

I have a neighbour from a sideways on house-so we don't treat them as a 'proper' neighbour.

She has a leylandii growing about 4 metres from the corner of our house which has minimal foundations-about 6ins of concrete about 6 ins down. On clay soil.

It's been pruned in the past but is now rocketing away.

We are going to ask her if we can either remove it or cut it back.

My thoughts were that if she doesn't want this- Is there anyway I can kill it without making it obvious it has been sprayed or otherwise

We do sometimes kill trees before removing them namely poplar by drilling them low down and putting in neat roundup which is quite effective- I can't do this as it's in her garden.

Any thoughts would be welcome

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

offer to re plant something in it's place, nice shrub etc easy to maintain and a lot better looking then some naff conny :thumbup1:

thats a good idea:thumbup:

lets hope she goes along with it

Her house is on the market so she may not care- I'm considering this action because you never know who will move in

We are going to ask her if we can either remove it or cut it back.

My thoughts were that if she doesn't want this- Is there anyway I can kill it without making it obvious it has been sprayed or otherwise

Although I realise the tree would be better removed for you, you would be badly advised to damage it, as this would be criminal damage and quite a serious offence. So resist that thought. Try seeing her and offering to pay or go halves.

I once put a kilo of sodium chlorate solution with a systemic weed killer solution on my neigbours hedge, he was a complete and utter "end of the bell"

and it didnt touch it, it may sound awful but we had some serious problems with him including him chucking garden rubbish in to our garden - should have decked him but I am too much of a gent:001_rolleyes:

The best way to kill a tree is to break the bark in a complete circle at the base of the tree but it is best to sort it out amicably if possible, the idea of replacing it with another shrub is a good idea - the acacia robinia is a good bet.

Spud

Dig down on your side and apply your glyphosate to the roots there, you will still need to drill into them or at least expose the cambium. that will work. it will also be criminal dammage.

I would remind your neighbour that they are legally bound to inform any potential purchaser of any neighbour disputes, then threaten to make an official complaint to the council.

I would remind your neighbour that they are legally bound to inform any potential purchaser of any neighbour disputes, then threaten to make an official complaint to the council.

You can’t make a dispute because you don’t like the tree

Just what would you be officially complaining about?

Fantastic! A thread on how to kill trees that are spoiling our view. No wonder Joe public thinks tree surgeons are ******. Before you break the law can you let your neighbour now that you are a plumber and save my job a bit of dignity.