changing entec roller blades

daveindales

I have the ch25ph entec. I think the rollers are the same as the 30dh and the tw 150. I need to change the roller blades as they are chipper and really blunt. is it just a case of removing the funnel and electrics to get to the rollers? do the bolts usually come out easy.? any help appreciated

I have the same chipper but havnt had to change the roller blades yet! but i would think that a good soaking of WD40 the night before and the same socket and ratchet that you use to change the flywheel blades should do. Failing that you could heat them and then imediately pour cold water over them, this usually "cracks" the rust and corrosion that is making them so tight. Good luck mate:thumbup1:

There is a dedicated Timberwolf/Entec technical advise link lower down the in the listings. I would have thought that the rollers could come out of the side or top of the roller box without the need or hassle to remove the infeed chute etc. Be exceptionally careful in cleaning out the torque drive or cap head bolts before you trying to undo the bolts. If they are too tight or they get rounded off, I would have lookeed at "puddle" welding a nut to the bolt top and using a spanner.

Good Luck.

Sold my chippit 25 last year so this is from the memory of someone the wrong side of 50

It's easy to remove them - just disconnect the hydraulic drives on the off-side, then (if I recall correctly) you undo something on the other side of the slide housing.

The rollers can then be pulled out the back.

The allen bolts are bloody tight - so take heed of advice above.

They are a cow to re-fit cos you have to hold them on place while lining up the holes.

Nothing too technical just very fiddly on re-assembly.

Good luck

Sold my chippit 25 last year so this is from the memory of someone the wrong side of 50

It's easy to remove them - just disconnect the hydraulic drives on the off-side, then (if I recall correctly) you undo something on the other side of the slide housing.

The rollers can then be pulled out the back.

The allen bolts are bloody tight - so take heed of advice above.

They are a cow to re-fit cos you have to hold them on place while lining up the holes.

Nothing too technical just very fiddly on re-assembly.

Good luck

and im the one that bought it ! as shane said its a bit of a pain getting the rollers back in as youve gota hold the weight of them while trying to get the splines level so it might be an advantage to get someone to help you ! .although its not really a 2 person job at least your have someone to shout at and throw spanners at when it starts to annoy you !:001_smile::thumbup1:

You don't need to take the rollers out.

Take off the infeed chute (only 4 bolts and 1 electrical plug) and you have easy access to the rollers.

Below is an extract from an email I got from Graham at Orange plant when I was having a bit of trouble with mine. I ended up just changing the springs and spring hanger for about £60 and it solved my problem. The roller 'blades' are not cheap

So long as the blade widths are still around the 65mm they should be fine, the narrower this width the greater the gap between the rollers leading to problems with smaller brash.

Blades 0325 @ £13.83 + vat each (12 on machine)

Bolts BO428 @ £2.61 + vat each (24 on machine)

The bolts can be difficult to get out and you may need to renew all 24.

Try sharpening them a bit with a dremel or similar - you can do this without unbolting them

Kev

thats how i was going to do it kev. I spoke with graham a while age and he mentioned the problems occurred with sharpening the blades (chipping small brash) does everyone agree that sharp roller blades make much differance? it's just that as I said before the blades are blunt, but the chipper still chips ok. with all the snow up here i thought i'd spend a day or two on maintancep plus its near my year end and i'd rather spend it on the chipper than pay a bit more tax.