Coronet cuts and rips. 18 cert!!

Jason James Gairn

Here are some pictures from todays work on veteran and candidate trees in Hatfield forest. The work is for the National trust. the spec is experimental as it demands that we use rip cuts and coronet cuts on the ends. It goes against everything I know as good practice. But hey ho.

The first pic is actually of apine with what i think is a viral/genetic mutation. The mass is about 1.5 meters high and 1m wide. very strange. Has anyone seen anything like this before on pinus spp?

next is our trusty steed and last is my last tree this afternoon. Horrible isn't it? on the left of the tree is a massive 2m rip. i won the rip contest!

has anyone else had to do this type of work? Has anyone got any anecdotal evidence that it has a beneficial effect on the longevity of the tree?

rip.jpg.33d53bfacafe9a59dcb05a0a89219fb5.jpg

quad.jpg.c957a082e532a68b8d5239750856a68a.jpg

pine.jpg.74fa0c8f66a5b86a355f1fec81a1ed19.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting Photos Mr Gairn.

Thanks for posting.

I for one can appreciate the extra time and effort that coros and fractures take to accomplish.

Have you previous experience?

How deep was the sink cut on the 2m rip, and did you need a pull line for it?

I certainly wouldn't call it pretty, but in context with its environment, I find the aesthetics easy on the eye.

The Monolithic Coronetted Chestnuts at Hatfield, helped inspire me to this type of work.

Can't really tell from the last pic, what is the species?

We have had very substantial regeneration on a Red Oak that was fractured and coronetted a few years back, and are currently awaiting the response on a Fulham Oak that was carried out last fall.

IME, although man made, the rips and tears do mimic natural breakages and I believe that Trees heal this process far more ergonomically than across the grain flushed target prunes.

Incidentally, I have seen witches brooms on Pine before, but never anything that size.

Good work.

Out of interest, how was the work priced?

Cheers :wave:

David

oh my word !

I really find it difficult to see that in a good light , as you say it goes against all that I percieve as positive tree surgery / management

' ugly tree work ' a concept that is hard to see favourably ,

maybe we as an industry think about things too much , quite what the publics perception on this is makes me cringe , its hard enough to get through what we have been told is good tree practise without bodies such as the NT promoting what could be termed as ' tree butchery'

Where does Codit fit with this technique

not sure about Congrats on the 2m rip I'm sure that you will have rivalled the works of many a non professional,

You may have missed out by leaving too few pegs tho' LOL

Here are some pictures from todays work on veteran and candidate trees in Hatfield forest. The work is for the National trust. the spec is experimental as it demands that we use rip cuts and coronet cuts on the ends. It goes against everything I know as good practice. But hey ho.

The first pic is actually of apine with what i think is a viral/genetic mutation. The mass is about 1.5 meters high and 1m wide. very strange. Has anyone seen anything like this before on pinus spp?

next is our trusty steed and last is my last tree this afternoon. Horrible isn't it? on the left of the tree is a massive 2m rip. i won the rip contest!

has anyone else had to do this type of work? Has anyone got any anecdotal evidence that it has a beneficial effect on the longevity of the tree?

i have also seen a similar generic defect but in a ceder, unfotuently i didnt get a picture but it was similar size!!!

as for the cuts, i dont think the intention of coronet cuts are ment for the benifit of the tree but to induce habitat. were you doing this on veteran trees as well?!?!

Rips must only work to provide habitat on certain species of tree surely.

I have cross sectioned rips and old wounds on many trees and on such as Lime the wound wood is very shallow, only a few mm. They seem to compartment the wound off very effectively.

If the ripps are to provide deadwood for insect population then surely different species of tree would have different methods of creating the deadwood areas.

As Matt mentioned somewhere previously, ring barking feet from the ends of branches to create staghorn etc.

Are they sycamores? simulating storm damage to create reactive growth and providing a habbitat could not be done in a better place than hatfeild forrest,your a lucky fella to have work there, not sure i would want to see much of this for obvious reasons but would love to see the results in 10 years time of how well it works and the wild life benifits if any!.

I would like to see more pollarding done though in areas like this ...i find the ancient pollards in these forrests awsome it would be nice to provide some for future generations

At first I thought it looked crap on another thread , its proberly because I didn't understand why they do it. until I was given info on it , And now abit more knowledgable about it I understand why it is done and what benefits it gives.

Rips must only work to provide habitat on certain species of tree surely.

I have cross sectioned rips and old wounds on many trees and on such as Lime the wound wood is very shallow, only a few mm. They seem to compartment the wound off very effectively.

If the ripps are to provide deadwood for insect population then surely different species of tree would have different methods of creating the deadwood areas.

As Matt mentioned somewhere previously, ring barking feet from the ends of branches to create staghorn etc.

Most potential damage to bats is caused when doing this:scared:

YOu really need to check any feature like that before ding this , you will be amazed how little a crack,tear or hole they need...:icon14:

...The first pic is actually of apine with what i think is a viral/genetic mutation. The mass is about 1.5 meters high and 1m wide. very strange. Has anyone seen anything like this before on pinus spp?...

Defo witches broom as the monkster has noted - Taphrina spp. infection isn't it? I've seen it on two adjacent scots pines. Oddly enough in a NT woodland again!

Nice hacking :D