Fuel gone off?

davey_b

My husky 455 rancher lost compression last year and so I changed the cylinder and piston. Not used it since October and picked it up the other day and it ran for about 10 seconds after starting and then packed up. Checked the compression and it's buggered again!

Any thoughts on how this is happening? Have I been unlucky or is there an issue with the fuel? Maybe leaving it in for a few months?

My husky 455 rancher lost compression last year and so I changed the cylinder and piston. Not used it since October and picked it up the other day and it ran for about 10 seconds after starting and then packed up. Checked the compression and it's buggered again!

Any thoughts on how this is happening? Have I been unlucky or is there an issue with the fuel? Maybe leaving it in for a few months?

Hi MATE post to STEVE on your man then use ASPEN thanks Jon

Fuel is 4 months old which is not good BUT more likely to be the same thing that caused it to nip up before if you didnt sort that . No good replacing the pot and piston if you dont fix what the problem is . Probably an air leak somewhere making it run lean , over rev and over heat .

Hi

When I used to use 2 stroke mix from petrol it would go in the mower if it was more than about 4 weeks old. If you have long periods without use I would consider Aspen.

It sounds like you repaired the symptoms but not the cause, perhaps there is an air leak weakening the mixture or just weak mixture causing the sieze?

check the plug colour for starters.

N

Whilst stale fuel in itself will not cause loss of compression, it will lead to engine overheating through lack of lubrication and through running weak.

This is because stale fuel rejects the 2 stroke oil that was fully dissolved when the fuel was new, and also stale fuel contains less energy value than fresh, so the air to fuel mixture becomes weaker as the fuel ages.

So if a 2 stroke engine is worked heavily on ageing fuel then overheating and associated wear will occur quickly which can lead to loss of compression and ultimately to seizure.