Help with buying first chainsaw

logsIlike

Hi all

This is my first post on the forum so hello...

Its time for me to purchase my first saw.

I have been using my fathers chainsaw for some a few years and I feel its high time I bought my own saw. His saw is a Stihl 028.

I use the saw to cut down about 10 trees a year and log about 20 cubic meters of wood - as you can see I am not a professional.

I have been doing a bit of research and Stihl/Husqvarna seems to be the two brands to go for.

Dads saw is about right power wise however it would be nice if it was a little lighter although this is not a necessity

You guys all seem to love Stihl 260/261 or Husky 346xp/550xp but for me I can't justify the cost of buying one of these saws new.

I think a second hand saw would be the way to go so what would your suggestions be?

It seems that the Husky 346 or a stihl 260 would be at the top of the list but I also have been looking at Husky 254s and 353s.

I have read on this forum that there is a shop that might be able to supply a second hand (Gliddons in Williton, Somerset) saw so I will be paying them a visit and there is also fleabay although I am wary of buying a duff saw of it.

Any suggestions welcome or even better (spud?) any saws that you might have for sale :001_smile:

Idealy I don't want to spend more than £250

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the MS260 and 346XP and I'm now on a 550XP. All excellent saws.

For your needs I'd go for a new Makita - this shop was linked in another thread and I'd say get the full pro Makita for less than £310:

Makita DCS5031-45 Chainsaw Petrol 2 Stroke Easy Start

Better off with the new saw IMO.

I totally agree, it's an amazing bargain that's too good to miss so I tried to buy one myself this very afternoon. They had no idea what was advertised on their website and the best they could do was a Makita DCS 520 for £378.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is. :sad: