Storing wood on aggricultural land

dryadlad

Had the planning inforcement officer around today about the timber we have stored on a small holding , he wants it shifted as it is arisings from outside and not connected with the holding.Think someones been moaning in the village , anyone had any dealings with this lot seems a bit petty really. There was a magic moment we he slipped on his arse on the way out ,every cloud !:thumbup:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that the holding isn't yours? It amazes me how some councils seem to do their damnedest to stifle rural enterprise ,yet jump at the first hint of protest from the recently retired incomer. I bet if the smallholder got some cattle, then put a barn up to house them, then sold the cattle, you could then store wood in the barn without complaint. :001_rolleyes: Believe me, I've seen it happen.:thumbup:

What ever you do, don't waste your time looking for any consistency or sense of fairness in the planning system - there isn't any.:sneaky2:

tell them your planning to make furniture out of it !

Then they would say it was industry and put the rates up. The local press would come round and do a feature as you dont find people making stuff in this country anymore. Best to say who dumped that there look what I have to clear up now.

I'm assuming that the holding isn't yours? It amazes me how some councils seem to do their damnedest to stifle rural enterprise ,yet jump at the first hint of protest from the recently retired incomer. I bet if the smallholder got some cattle, then put a barn up to house them, then sold the cattle, you could then store wood in the barn without complaint. :001_rolleyes: Believe me, I've seen it happen.:thumbup:

What ever you do, don't waste your time looking for any consistency or sense of fairness in the planning system - there isn't any.:sneaky2:

How true! We do not make anthing in this country anymore as there is an army of state sponsored busybodies trying to stamp on anyone with any entrepreneurial gumption. If it was me I would give the appearance of compliance but delay, dither and ignore them . You could also try a counter attack with a story in the local press along the lines of "council snoopers destroy jobs in the timber industry" etc etc. They do not like this sort of publicity as the matter then becomes "political".

Anyway, good luck and don't let the b*******s grind you down!

As far as i'm aware if you and the landowner hold waste management licenses with a certain exemption you should be fine. I spoke to a good bloke at the EA, can't remember his name who told me all the ins and outs. The license was only 2 or 3 hundred squids if I remember right..