Things I should know for CS30 and 31

Ragdoll

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my course coming up two weeks time and climbing course a month after that and been preparing. Just want to make sure I know all the things I need to, Any help is really appreciated. (Doing the course at TKF in Holmfirth.)

Thanks.

Have you got all the gear they say you require for the course?.... eg; they'll probably stipulate wearing gloves with protection.

cheers, steve

Got my course coming up two weeks time and climbing course a month after that and been preparing. Just want to make sure I know all the things I need to, Any help is really appreciated. (Doing the course at TKF in Holmfirth.)

Thanks.

You don't need to know all the things at this stage, that's what the training is for. Personally I found that seeking additional help on the internet was counter productive, especially for the climbing courses (CS38-39) as I ended up with information overload, some of which was incorrect or misleading.

If you really must prepare and assuming you're using your own saw, learn to remove the clutch cover, bar, chain, sprocket, spark plug, air filter and recoil starter, clean them and put it all back together without needing to faff about.

If you can already do that you can learn how to find the correct chain for your saw, i.e. pitch, gauge, chain length etc. That'll cover a big part of the maintenance and if you're confidant about the maintenance you can concentrate on the other aspects of the course once the training starts

Just my opinion, and all the best for the course :thumbup1:

Have you got all the gear they say you require for the course?.... eg; they'll probably stipulate wearing gloves with protection.

cheers, steve

Yeah ive got most of the stuff with the rest arriving soon and am borrowing my bosses saw/tools til i get my own.

You don't need to know all the things at this stage, that's what the training is for. Personally I found that seeking additional help on the internet was counter productive, especially for the climbing courses (CS38-39) as I ended up with information overload, some of which was incorrect or misleading.

If you really must prepare and assuming you're using your own saw, learn to remove the clutch cover, bar, chain, sprocket, spark plug, air filter and recoil starter, clean them and put it all back together without needing to faff about.

If you can already do that you can learn how to find the correct chain for your saw, i.e. pitch, gauge, chain length etc. That'll cover a big part of the maintenance and if you're confidant about the maintenance you can concentrate on the other aspects of the course once the training starts

Just my opinion, and all the best for the course :thumbup1:

I'll bear that in mind and will practice what you said. Thanks.

+1

Just take a look at the assessment schedule so that you have some idea of what's coming up.

If the instructor does his or her job well then you're ~90% there.

Did he show you how to start a saw like a yo-yo?.... the sign of a true professional! :laugh1:

(just kidding).

Do you mean "drop starting"??

I can honestly say in 20 years all the best cutters and climbers I'v worked with drop started their saws.

Obviously not some thing you would do on an assessment.