Advice Buying/Building/Running a Timber Lorry

woodsmanmatt

I'm new to the forum but hoping you can help! :001_smile: I've been working for a couple of firms locally doing woodland thinning and coppicing this winter, but arranging transport for the timber from roadside to customers has proven to be a nightmare for the guys I am working for. Local haulage firms have either been too busy or not interested in helping, or they have only had Artic's which have been too big to get access to our sites.

I'm thinking about setting myself with a smallish lorry to haul timber, not long distances or as a full time job, but just to bridge the gap locally between woodland owners/contractor and firewood merchants. I think I could probably get some grant funding locally for small businesses, and also possibly through the FC, which would help with start-up costs.

I've done a bit of internet research on second hand trucks. I think I'd be looking at a 6x4 rigid or possibly 4x4 with timber crane and bolsters but no bigger than that. Hopefully I could get something with a minimum of a 10t capacity, ideally 15t. There seem to be quite a few available in Europe but very few in the UK, especially at the lower end of the price range which realistically is where I'd be looking.

That would leave me to either import a LHD truck, or get a coach builder to convert a used chassis cab from the UK. Anyone had an experience for these options? There's a few ex-MOD trucks that look as though they might work if converted, they already have Atlas cranes, winches etc so presumably have all the necessary hydraulics, possibly even convert the existing crane if possible.

I'd obviously need to get my HGV © licence and CPC, but what else would I need. Operators Licence? Would I need a Tacho if it's Forestry? HIAB training Etc.

It may all be a non-starter, but I need to work what I need, what would work and how much everything would cost, and then I can look at a business plan.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give! :thumbup:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not use a tractor and boggy, if its just local?

Fair question, I suppose I should have said relatively local, meaning that I could reasonably expect a 30-40 mile round trip to deliver the timber and probably a fair amount of A roads and dual carriageways, and I think a tractor forwarder would be too slow with too smaller load really to make me economically viable.

For various reasons I am more likely to more grant funding for a lorry too.

Lorry needs 6 weekly checks, operators licence, cpc, transport manager, yada yada, yawn yawn.

That's a whole lot of time and expense, and hassle.

Not trying to put you off, just being real.

Have you considered a hook lift type lorry?

Iam thinking it might be cheaper to have a body specially for your needs.

Also give you more flexibility, use it as a tipper between times, cart wood chip, gravel for the roads etc

I'd say it's a lot of effort to go to, especially if you don't already have the right license, or an operators certificate, or the wagon itself.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, I'd say an 8 wheeler would be the minimum to go for - barely any bigger than a 6 wheeler and should carry 18T as a minimum.

Also, pretty sure it'd need a tacho too.

Looked at similar a while ago, especially the ex army DAF 45. Yes, they are four wheel drive, sturdy, some come with cranes but as with most 4x4 trucks they will only carry about 4 ton. Add a crane and that reduces to about 2.5 to 3 tons so it quickly becomes non viable.

You therefore have to move to something bigger with a bigger crane which means greater operating costs and less likely hood of getting on to and off sites easily.

Not sure grant could be used to purchase ex army vehicle either as the item usually, if they will let you buy second hand, has to be up to a certain number of years old.

And don't forget if you look at forwarding trailers, a ten ton trailer does not carry ten ton, take off weight of trailer and crane and you will be down to 6 to 7 ton.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

A decent 6x6 would do you for that job, Things like the Iveco 6X6 with 250hp and 26 ton gross, mine is not finished yet because life has got in the way but hopefully will it get done soon. If you get one thats piped for air they can also pull a 15 ton trailer.

002_zps15e3c912.jpg

001_zps0032d618.jpg

Lorry needs 6 weekly checks, operators licence, cpc, transport manager, yada yada, yawn yawn.

That's a whole lot of time and expense, and hassle.

Not trying to put you off, just being real.

Thanks, that's the kind of info I need really. I'll have a look into the costs, but do you have any ballpark figures on how expensive this all is? Do the inspections need to be by a mechanic or can you do it yourself? Presumably I could be the Transport Manager myself as an owner/operator?

Have you considered a hook lift type lorry?

Iam thinking it might be cheaper to have a body specially for your needs.

Also give you more flexibility, use it as a tipper between times, cart wood chip, gravel for the roads etc

Interesting thought, but I think it would need to be a grab to enable stacking at the customers yard. Also the important thing for me will be payload and speed of loading I think. Ultimately I estimate that to make it pay I'd need to move at least 30t of timber per day, so needs to be quick and easy.