MS201 tc-m Help!

Treespasser

Hi all,

I've owned a Husky t540xp for a couple of years now, and its had its fair share of problems and breakages. Recently the crank case has snapped clean where the chainbreak handle connects to it!! Plus this wasnt through use with aggression, I just looked down and it had happened.

So, the price for a new crank case + all other parts needed to be replaced due to the nature of stripping the whole saw down to rebuild is astronomical and I might as well get a new top handle saw.

Like the Husky the ms201tc-m has this computer sh** inside it and doesn't have the tuning holes. Just wondering peoples opinions on how this saw performs without being able to manually tune it. And am I right in thinking the build quality is better than the Husky? My husky got no end of cosmetic dammage.

Many thanks!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like being able to tune a saw yourself, you might like to look at the echo offering.

I've just got a 360 last Friday, it's had a bit of a baptism of fire the last couple of days and I am pretty pleased with it, rate it far higher than the husky!

This auto tuning malarky does my nut in as well. But from using both saws I would say the 201 is a more sturdy model than the Husky, I found the husky very toquey but felt like a toy in my hand.

I'm annoyed about all these computer chips because a older saw you cans strip down sort out and put back together yourself, but not anymore :-(.

But yeah I'd say the sthil is the better of the 2 IMO.

If you like being able to tune a saw yourself, you might like to look at the echo offering.

I've just got a 360 last Friday, it's had a bit of a baptism of fire the last couple of days and I am pretty pleased with it, rate it far higher than the husky!

How do you rate it power wise vs the 540

I haven't really used it on anything big yet, past two days have been spent reducing small spruce below power line height so max 6"

In general I reckon it has better power than the 540, it's definitely better built. It was a bit sluggish off the throttle yesterday morning (1st tank) but had improved by this afternoon now it's had 10 tanks of fuel through. I'll probably remove the spark arrestor tomorrow, I reckon that'll improve it al lot as well.

At the moment, my order of preference would be:

1. Ms201tc (as much as anything because I'm more familiar with 201 than any other)

2. Echo

3. Husqvarna

Hi all,

I've owned a Husky t540xp for a couple of years now, and its had its fair share of problems and breakages. Recently the crank case has snapped clean where the chainbreak handle connects to it!! Plus this wasnt through use with aggression, I just looked down and it had happened.

So, the price for a new crank case + all other parts needed to be replaced due to the nature of stripping the whole saw down to rebuild is astronomical and I might as well get a new top handle saw.

Like the Husky the ms201tc-m has this computer sh** inside it and doesn't have the tuning holes. Just wondering peoples opinions on how this saw performs without being able to manually tune it. And am I right in thinking the build quality is better than the Husky? My husky got no end of cosmetic dammage.

Many thanks!!

We found this problem early on with the 540XP, if the saw falls from a tree or gets crushed in the van, then this is the result, broken chain brake pivot point. In contrast if the same happens to the MS201TC-M then its £20 worth of bits and 45 mins labour as the top handle cops it first rather than the chain brake lever. We have sold a good few 201TC-M with no problems other than the air filter covers dropping off. Unhappily it appears that computer tuning is the way forward to comply with emission requirements and no doubt the Echo will soon have to follow suit.

Unhappily it appears that computer tuning is the way forward to comply with emission requirements and no doubt the Echo will soon have to follow suit.

You're undoubtedly right about emission regs and Echo having to adopt computer tech sooner or later, I think it's significant though that Echo don't appear to be chasing the maximum power thing like Stihl/Husky, probably as they aren't seen as being in direct competition whereas Stihl/Husky do need to outdo each other as the top 2 saw manufacturers, that probably results in reduced emissions without adopting the electronic emission control.

In any case, what may or may not happen next year or the year after is irrelevant, the Echo is available now without the electronic trickery plus it's, cheaper and has a longer warranty than either Stihl or Husky. Less powerful? maybe but it'll cut faster than a saw that either falls apart or refuses to start.

In any case, what may or may not happen next year or the year after is irrelevant, the Echo is available now without the electronic trickery plus it's, cheaper and has a longer warranty than either Stihl or Husky. Less powerful? maybe but it'll cut faster than a saw that either falls apart or refuses to start.

Good point well made :001_smile: