Riddle bucket.

wrsni

Know there's a few digger men on here so maybe someone can help.

Going to buy a riddle bucket for the Kubota, have a lot of rubble built up from various jobs so there's tar in it, asphalt, concrete, stone, mortar, all shapes and sizes. So I want the finer stuff to base a new laneway and the coarser clean stuff for drainage work.

Having a look it seems there are many different ways of making riddle buckets, some as simple as cutting the arse out of a digging bucket, some with round bars, some with flat bar on it's edge, some with vertical slots, some horizontal, some with a grid, more permutations than you can shake a stick at.

So, anyone have one, anyone used one or seen one in use, or just know anything about them, good or bad? The digger is about three and a half ton so I'll be looking a bucket 2-3 foot.

Thanks.

If you have a large amount, hire a small mobile screener for a day. That will give you your required grades without rehandling everything twice and shaking the hell out of your machine.

Riddle buckets have a place, they're great on site and for small amounts. But for a large stockpile that you want multiple grades from, a days screener hire is far more cost effective.

If it's something you think you would use a lot, I'd go with a rotary screener bucket with changeable mesh rather than a riddle bucket.

If your stockpile is only a couple of wagon loads (and from the sounds of it a right mix up), it would probably be even cheaper to have it taken away (free if it's clean) and the required grades of screened material brought to you when you need them.

I cut slots horizontally big enough to keep house bricks on a old ditching bucket,worked well for one job and shifted 3 six wheeler loads of bricks etc .

Only used it once and works better when dry .

Riddle with boom/dipper arm close to avoid to much stress on headstock.

Ste

I've done a bit with a 3t Kubota that belongs to a customer of ours. His bucket had slots about 3" wide and flat bits between so looked like a standard bucket that had been cut. It worked pretty well but didn't like muddy stuff even when dry. I would think that one with the bars turned 90 degrees would be better to avoid sticking? Also I'd avoid round bar as in my head a taper will allow stuff to get jammed in the gaps more easily? I can't say that from experience but basic physics suggests it's more likely?

I find it works better when the material is dry, and don't be greedy with the amount in the bucket, the material has room to move and you don't have to shake it as much, more of a tip and crowd movement so not shacking to machine about. Also I found while waiting for the dumper to come back sprinkle bucket full`s onto the top of the pile and let the bigger stuff to roll to the bottom then load from the bottom of the heap, very little riddling needed then.

If you have a large amount, hire a small mobile screener for a day. That will give you your required grades without rehandling everything twice and shaking the hell out of your machine.

I've got some stuff to screen, pebbles contaminated with soil, I'd also like to riddle through some fire ash and try it on some woodchip. Anyone in Surrey hire one that could sort 20 tonne/day?

20t/day isn't that much, what size excavator do you have?

Screening bucket - The British Construction Equipment Forum

I'd have to use the telehandler to load the screen.

As I said I only have some soil contaminated gravel to clean and a large ash heap to process but I would like to try it on some woodchip to get the fines out.