Sharpening

harvey b davison

Hi All

Bearing in mind that i'm not a full pro user like rest of you guys, i wounder if you could give me any tips on best sharpening practice. I currently sharpen my chain with either a file or more commonly a little dremel machine. Both of which sharpens the chain decently, but is there any better alternatives. I have never used one of those chainsharpeners where you need to remove the chain from the bar, what are they like.:confused1:

Thanks in advance.

I have the Oregon bench mounted one. It's good when you get the hang of it. If you go too quick you'll knacker the cutters and turn them blue!

I have two of the bar mounted hand sharpeners. If you take your time with them I've had it cutting quicker than a new chain!

I have a dremel kit also. You need a steady hand for that though

Out on site I have the plain old hand file. I use pretty much everything. Depending how I feel.

Choose one method and stick to it.

Learn as much as you can about shapes and how to get it sharp.

Take the dremmel bits and hide in a draw some were were you get them lost.

There is so much to learn on this subject it is impossioble to put in a few posts in a thread, but in short....

Grinder is comfortable to some, easier to learn to some, but still take lots of experience and knowledge to get it good.

Filing by hand is the best way to learn shapes and performance of a chain.

A grinded chain is not as sharp and if it is a good filer, dosen't hold edge as long either.

Any way needs lots of learning, testing to get experience and knowledge.

Hi All

Bearing in mind that i'm not a full pro user like rest of you guys, i wounder if you could give me any tips on best sharpening practice. I currently sharpen my chain with either a file or more commonly a little dremel machine. Both of which sharpens the chain decently, but is there any better alternatives. I have never used one of those chainsharpeners where you need to remove the chain from the bar, what are they like.:confused1:

Thanks in advance.

Try this sharpening kit:

Oregon Chainsaw Chain Sharpening Kit 5/32" 4mm on eBay (end time 22-Sep-10 19:02:32 BST)

(be sure to order the one with the correct file size for you chain)

it is only a tenner so if you can't get on with it it's not the end of the world.

I've found this gives much better results than an electric sharpener although it takes longer. As already mentioned sharpen little and often before the teeth are totally dull.

With the electric sharpeners it is very easy to take of too much and also to "blue" the cutters.

hope this helps