New to carving

bazoo132

Hi folks as above. Looking at buying a carving saw I have a Husky 560xpg so will use that for blocking out. I was looking at both the echo 310 and the husky 235 and was wondering what one would be better for starting out carving? I will be putting on a carving bar and chain. This was the sort of price range I was looking at (£150- £200) is there anything better you would recommend?

Well that opens up the debate on 'which saw for detailing' again :)

ill chuck in my 2p worth to get it going

stihl ms181 is a great saw for detail work. balance is great with a 12inch dime and i find they have great power for the weight. Plus they cheep, so if you kill them, no huge loss. I block out with a husky 550xp, an absolute powerhouse

Hi Bazoo

I've been carving for 9 years. I have Sthil, Husky and Echo saws in assorted sizes. If I had my time again I would buy only Echo saws.

You get what you pay for. If you go for a cheap saw and end up using it a lot you are likely to experience uncomfortable vibration or even white finger. Try for a pro saw if you can and if you look after it you will reap back the cost in sales over time and it will last.

I highly recommend Lee at Fairywings - an 3 Echo dealer who knows what carvers need.

Carrie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bazoo, the Echo CS310 is not easy to setup as a carving saw as the 1/4 sprockets are not readily available in the uk and is proving a sod to get out of the states too as the American version is a different spec, if you are looking to go Echo would recommend the CS281, I know its a bit more outlay but it's lighter, more compact, easy to setup as a carving saw and seems to be fast becoming the weapon of chose

Regards Lee

Hi Bazoo, the Echo CS310 is not easy to setup as a carving saw as the 1/4 sprockets are not readily available in the uk and is proving a sod to get out of the states too as the American version is a different spec, if you are looking to go Echo would recommend the CS281, I know its a bit more outlay but it's lighter, more compact, easy to setup as a carving saw and seems to be fast becoming the weapon of chose

Regards Lee

Hi Lee

I'm in the States now and just spotted your post to Bazoo. Will you be able to send Rob the right sprocket for my Echo 420 saw? I'd hate to return to Blighty and find that the US could have the one that was needed?

Carrie