What make Spark Plug  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What make Spark Plug

• NGK
    • Bosch
    • Champion
    • other
    • Dont care what make as long as it works

We all use them, some last years and are never looked at (thats sods law), some are replaced when their machines are serviced and some have to be replaced when they fail.

How long does your plug last & when do you replace?

I always use NGK mainly because they were much more reliable than Bosch & Champion in our race bikes, even though the plugs were different they did the same thing..... produce a spark.

Ngk all the way for me. Buy about 1000 each year

Dont like Champion

Tried Oregon once, sent most of them back as I had too many problems.

Never tried Bosch.

Same here . NGK are best . used a few Bosch seemed ok . Oregon are pants . They are cheap but fail quickly I have found .

Does nobody have problems with the tops of the NGK's becoming unscrewed and wearing the thread until it makes a bad connection ? Have never found a supplier for the solid style NGK's so relied on Bosch and have not had much bother.

Yes, that is an issue with screw top plugs, not only NGK. Its strange but i only tend to see this on saws, not other kit, and not all the time. Bosch do score a little here.

The Ngk CMR6H 10mm plug in the 4 mix stuff is actually a fixed cap.

Does nobody have problems with the tops of the NGK's becoming unscrewed and wearing the thread until it makes a bad connection ? Have never found a supplier for the solid style NGK's so relied on Bosch and have not had much bother.

All you do is get some big grips on the little end and screw it real tight on to the plug end with the plug in a vice.... That stops the thing coming undone - seen a few like that, mostly on your kit:lol::lol::blushing:!

To be honest, I only change them if they are the wrong type fitted by the owner, most of the plugs I have seen over the years still have nice square electrodes and will be fine for years - seems a waste to throw something good in the bin and charge for new although I know a few will say it is necesary on a service.

I have only ever seen one case of spark tracking down the side of a plug and that was on a strimmer and a new plug and cap sorted it, never seen a plug fail and rarely come in worn - each one to his own:thumbup:

Spud, I think changing a plug goes back a long way to the old days when plugs would fail much more than they do these days. Remember everyone used to carry a plug spanner in their tool roll under the seat of their bike. Or was that only British bikes & me showing my age, the Japs were very good (at least the ones I had were) and didnt break down:thumbup:

So many DIY mechanics would pull out a plug & were changed "before" they failed as part of a routine preventative maintenance, then would end up with spare plugs that are still serviceable so you keep just in case, and the little hoard grew:001_rolleyes:

Personally I change a plug "too regular" and need to get out of the habit, not only is it costing me money but all the plugs replaced never get used again they just sit there waiting in the box ready to jump into the hole and do its job again. Mmmm sounds very familiar :001_tongue:

Spud you have it right, help me break the habit:001_tt2: I have never seen a plug fail in years but only use NGK.:thumbup:

Believe me guys, plugs do fail. I dont see it every day but probably get about one machine a fortnight brought in with nothing more wrong with it than plug failure.

They wont start, stick a new plug in and away they go.

I do of course, see rather a lot of machines in a fortnight, so the percentage is low.

Over about10 or so years I've had nearly every NGK plug fail after a while. Usually the top coming loose and the thread wearing causing bad contact. After a while realised they needed nipping up from new but they do still fail sometimes.

Then realised Bosch were already fixed so used them. Never had one fail in about the last 5 years. That decided it for me. Told my dealer not to bother changing plugs for me anymore if he only had NGK ones.