Fimed whilst milling

Forest2Furniture

I milled a Cedar in the garden of a house in a little village called Edensor on the Chatsworth estate a couple of weeks ago.

The son of the guy with the tree filmed me and made this short film:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZc2lSL9qV0]Forest 2 Furniture - On-Site Milling with Patrick Turk - YouTube[/ame]

Thought you guys might like to see it!

nice vid there mate i enjoyed it

2 things

(1)try to not rock the saw in the cut u get a much better finish (i try to run my mill a 10 degrees to the trunk so the nose is just in front or just behind the drive wheel ) hope that makes sence

2 when u leave the cut rock the nose or the dog side out first so the front and back rail still stay on the wood helps to keep the cut straight

and what chain u using

im not putting a downer on ur vid as i would like a vid of my work like that just try to help u out a bit

cheers martin

nice vid there mate i enjoyed it

2 things

(1)try to not rock the saw in the cut u get a much better finish (i try to run my mill a 10 degrees to the trunk so the nose is just in front or just behind the drive wheel ) hope that makes sence

2 when u leave the cut rock the nose or the dog side out first so the front and back rail still stay on the wood helps to keep the cut straight

and what chain u using

im not putting a downer on ur vid as i would like a vid of my work like that just try to help u out a bit

cheers martin

Don't see your comments as a downer, all advice greatfully received thanks.

Chain is an oregon ripping, it was due a sharpening/changing when vid was taken.

Pleased you enjoyed the vid.

Like the vid, it's a good promotion of your services.

Continuing on the "not a downers", I normally raise the log at that stage, stopping all the time to move sawdust causes notches.

The other thing is that you may be better of installing a remote throttle (I use an rubberised clamp but its not the safest...) as you seem to be leaning on your powerhead which lifts up the mill as in this screenshot.

If you've a remote throttle you can apply pressure right where it's needed.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1371104285.577281.jpg.6a35f55704ddd0b8bedfd88404e72c82.jpg

It's a nicely put together vid thanks for posting.

I'm working on some scissor jacks operated by a drill to raise the log at the end.... the mill often tips forwards on the last few inches...

Do you have the precision grinder yet? It is a great tool for sharpening the saw on the mill.

The mills will be on display at the AA show and I'll be doing a bit of demoing as well. I'm in the FR Jones tent at the shows this year.

:biggrin:

It's a nicely put together vid thanks for posting.

I'm working on some scissor jacks operated by a drill to raise the log at the end.... the mill often tips forwards on the last few inches...

Do you have the precision grinder yet? It is a great tool for sharpening the saw on the mill.

The mills will be on display at the AA show and I'll be doing a bit of demoing as well. I'm in the FR Jones tent at the shows this year.

:biggrin:

+1 for the precision grinder it's well worth the money:thumbup:

Good video

Thanks for the vid and for the supplementary comments, I'll put those into practice at the next opportunity also!

As a fan of the file, I haven't ventured the grinder yet. Is it an 'urban myth' that the grinder causes a reduction in the tensile strength of the cutting edge of the chain? Sounds like there are some strong advocates of the grinder... Is there a particular product you favour and who's supplying it?