Anyone supply for timber framed homes?

flatyre

Ah well, you can but dream! I was only offering a timeline in the broadest possible sense. You can do as you wish but if you actually want to 'do' what you ask this is the 'how to'!

You say you have the skill-set.......Use it before you get too old! Plus the certain fact that a lot of long-time-sat-around timber will slowly fill up with wood-worm or simply get in the way and end up on a fire....

codlasher

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So about the size of a small shed then?

Well that means you spread the HAVS exposure out over time, still the same exposure though, its cumulative

I don't know of many small sheds two storeys high with a pitched roof on top - our main original house was only 30' long x 14' wide with a higher roof pitch, so by volume the extension is about 60% of the original! On top of which, the 80 or so feather-edge boards were more milling in total than a much larger house would require.

The HAVs using a winch are not that high if you wear AV gloves on top of an old AV saw and the gripping hand is on the mill rather than the powerhead; with a winch they would drop to minimal.

I still wouldn't have wanted to do all the milling unless I enjoyed it in the first place though.

Alec

Ah well, you can but dream! I was only offering a timeline in the broadest possible sense. You can do as you wish but if you actually want to 'do' what you ask this is the 'how to'!

You say you have the skill-set.......Use it before you get too old! Plus the certain fact that a lot of long-time-sat-around timber will slowly fill up with wood-worm or simply get in the way and end up on a fire....

codlasher

No I much appreciate the input codlasher, I do hope to build my own timber framed house some day, and it seems daft to make part of my living from felling trees and then pay a fortune for a timber frame kit, unfortunately there aren't many saw mills around here and the few there are charge crazy prices, also being in Northern Ireland the price of having a kit home delivered goes through the roof, Irish Sea the dearest piece of water to cross!

As discussed on other threads, the timbers for a house with a structural frame need to be strength graded. Otherwise you might have difficulty getting it signed off by the local authority and possibly end up with something more or less worthless if others in the future cannot use it as security against a loan/mortgage. With perserverance, ingenuity and help, most hurdles can be overcome, but if the frame for a house is not up to spec, the whole job is at risk. Worth working out how to overcome this hurdle before starting to mill lots of timber to avoid ending up with a pile of firewood.

I've more of less finished a timber framed 'shed' constructed from timbers I milled with an Alaskan which is on another thread. It is about 15 feet square and single storey. Now I'm working on the drawings for a single storey oak framed building not much bigger and without any hesitation I'll be buying in the milled green oak strength graded beams. Overall, they are a relatively small part of the project and I'm keen to be making quicker progress. But I get great satisfaction from having milled the timbers for the 'shed' and no bought kit or materials could replace that. But once was enough.......

Andrew

give your ideal size for a kit and i will attempt to put some figures to it because this is becoming a popular lunch time discussion, can you build a top end house for less?

Hebridean Homes Longhouse LH202

3 bedrooms

open plan living

vaulted ceiling

design classic

square metre value

Simple form

Frontage: 17m Width: 5.7m

131m2 internal floor area

Timber Kit Package Price from

£ 42,900.00

SIP Kit Package Price from

£ 51,400.00

As discussed on other threads, the timbers for a house with a structural frame need to be strength graded. Otherwise you might have difficulty getting it signed off by the local authority and possibly end up with something more or less worthless if others in the future cannot use it as security against a loan/mortgage. With perserverance, ingenuity and help, most hurdles can be overcome, but if the frame for a house is not up to spec, the whole job is at risk. Worth working out how to overcome this hurdle before starting to mill lots of timber to avoid ending up with a pile of firewood.

I've more of less finished a timber framed 'shed' constructed from timbers I milled with an Alaskan which is on another thread. It is about 15 feet square and single storey. Now I'm working on the drawings for a single storey oak framed building not much bigger and without any hesitation I'll be buying in the milled green oak strength graded beams. Overall, they are a relatively small part of the project and I'm keen to be making quicker progress. But I get great satisfaction from having milled the timbers for the 'shed' and no bought kit or materials could replace that. But once was enough.......

Andrew

This isn't strictly true. Softwood is strength graded by machine. Hardwood beams like oak are visually graded. I'm led to believe through previous discussions with Alec and my own research that there is no qualifications to do this grading. Specs for each grade of timber can be found and I am now grading my timber myself.

If you look at the thread I will link to in the next post it shows me taking a tree purchased through arbtalk and using it as structural timbers in a barn conversion which the building inspector Is more than happy with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

Hebridean Homes Longhouse LH202

3 bedrooms

open plan living

vaulted ceiling

design classic

square metre value

Simple form

Frontage: 17m Width: 5.7m

131m2 internal floor area

Timber Kit Package Price from

£ 42,900.00

SIP Kit Package Price from

£ 51,400.00

Timber kit price

£36975 + vat

exterior comes in 2.4x3m panels clad in 26mm larch.

interior is lined with 25mm douglas fir

windows are pine similar spec to nordan

This is a full timber house without services. The roof consists of 14 cassettes and is offered ready for slate or profile sheeting. The panel size is optimised for transportation.

This is a theoretical price because its not engineered so i have included £5k for structural engineering (may need minor adjustments if that). The biggest cost is the roof coming in at £12000 we could probably cut a good few thousand here because i have worked it to a much larger build (7.3 m instead of 5.7m to be extra safe). in terms of cost what we want is a run of four or five of the same building and we could be looking at around £30000 per kit