Looking at joining the logging trend [emoji16]

AdamL

Ooo where about are you? I'm Canterbury area

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well not exactly local, Northamptonshire. might work if you were happy to stay away from home for a bit. What sort of experience do you have? I guess more and more its m9 intensive orchards in Kent. We grow apples pears plums and apricots on intensive and older more traditional orchard systems so fair experience of fruit trees would be necessary. Might be worth us having a chat at some point.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the farm your on has tress that need cutting down or have fallen down that can be used for firewood, that's how we started, also I dare say some of your fruit trees die, always cut them up aswell, fruit wood makes nice firewood especially cherry imo

Yes the manager of the farm spends all his time doing that for his benefit [emoji12] so no left overs lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

As others have rightly said the margins on fire wood are ridiculously tight . How ever I do remember when one guy started in my village. He had a saw , a small Massy tractor and a Hycrack cork screw splitter running of the tractor . He bought round wood from West Dean estate and worked on one of the farms during the summer . He is now the biggest supplier of fire wood in our area . He has a top spec processor 2 big JD tractors a forwarding trailer with timber crane and a bunch of blokes working for him . He is a real grafter and I have known him since he was a 12 - 13 year old beating on the shoot . So , it can be done but it is very tight and hard until you have enough capital to make it super efficient . He still work all hours because that is who he is .

Edited by Stubby

If you have to pay for your yard and your wood, I can't see there being enough in it. :dontknow:

Not really. Most retail products from distributor/retail are typically 20-40% margin. Buying cord to seasoned or kiln dried is 80%+ margin. Yes you need to process and dry it but there's good margin if you do the volume. The problem is a lot of people sell it too cheap.