PWR Bioheat. How are these IDIOTS so cheap?

TimberCutterDartmoor

And yes the website says drying floor. Is that like a colossal concrete slab just eating up heat?! Flippin L.

In most cases it's a floating raised floor for drying grain on so hot air will rise out of holes through it, through the piles of logs. None of the air will be recirculated and therefore is wasted. The efficient way to dry logs is by recirculating air until it has reached peak air humidity and then exhausting it as air can only pick up so much moisture from something if it only passes by it once.

They probably end up with patches of inconsistently dry logs too, instead of full batches of logs all dried to the same moisture content like they should be when done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you shouldn't be able to make a living off the payments though, I just went back over that guys website and his £70 a cube including delivery is cheaper than I can ship a pallet to London cheapest quote I think I got was £80+vat fair enough start sending a few the price comes down a bit but essentially this guy is giving his wood away for free.

You can't make a living off the RHI payments. The boiler salesmen would like to tell you you can. As an example our first boiler is a 95kw log boiler, the salesman at the time quoted we could make at least 30k a year from it no problem but that's it running 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year at 95kw. For a start log boiler systems are about 50/60% efficient in the real world so you only actually get 50/60kw an hour MAX! At normal 5-15 degree outside temp we usually get 40-45kw. Also unless you want to drag yourself out of bed every 2-3 hours in the night your not going to run them 24 hours either, we normally run ours 9-12 hours a day maybe 15-16 in the summer if one of us goes back up to fill it. It also goes through basically a cubic metre of big logs per day and we get around 12k a year per boiler.

We probably get about 250 burning days a year so we get roughly (very roughly) £50 a cubic metre.

Obviously chip/pellet boilers are a different story and they can run 24hours a day but I can imagine on something like a 1mw system you would be using a crazy shout of wood!

I'm not sure if it's changed recently but rhi was paid at a higher rate on boilers under 200kW so while a larger boiler would get more money overall it would cost a higher percentage to run which is why some businesses run multiple smaller boilers in sequence.

In terms of efficiency I was referring to getting it under 20% moisture not peak temperature.

I think it's the total of the boiler outputs that determines the RHI tariff tier. If we added 50 kw to our 1mw then our tier would have changed.

Main reason for multiple boilers would be either backup or reducing transmission costs. A good chip boiler would have an efficiency in the 90s.

I wonder how much this per bioheat sell each year, they seem from they're website quite a organised company, and as the title refers to they're cheap, maybe too cheap....... but as I always say live and let live, they must make money so maybe they're very efficient in processing hence low production cost hence low selling price.

Why call them idiots??

As above, they're too cheap. Fine if they're a charity but they're not.

Edit: as it turns out, they're not tho; charging quite high amounts for delivery to make up for it.

Still...

In the way biomass has undermined the sawn timber and fencing business, so cheap logs from RHI boosted sources have undermined traditional log merchants.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• 1 month later...