Tree Propping

Andymacp

I have a large Lime limb to prop, is there any industry advice,recommendations ?

Materials, adjustability, what to anchor to the limb and the ground ?

Or if there are any experienced guys that would be happy to have a chat.

I did find and read one thread and can only see a lot of pics on the Internet.

Cheers

There's "some", general, guidance in BS3998 (p.42) and the section refers to "DETR book "Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment and Guidance" too.

Don't have any particular experience myself but whenever I've seen it done it appears to follow fairly basic / logical principles ensuring whatever is used is strong enough, and secured enough, and, so far as possible, avoids damaging the branch its supporting.

Sorry, not much help but a reply at least :001_huh:

Cheers,

Paul

A lot will depend on what you/the client want to achieve.

It's easy enough to prop just about anything. Getting it to work properly and look ok is another matter. If it's a quick fix use some acro props at angles to triangulate the load support.

It also depends on whereabouts on the limb it's suitable to support it and how the ground lies and the way the limb moves in the wind.

Any kind of fixed bracing/support will load the limb and its attachment point in a different way to which it has grown. This may mean the limb parting from the main stem by shearing off rather than tearing.

Pictures would help

Aye this is issue, it is a very prominent tree on a large estate house front lawn. I could easy fit rudimental props but aesthetics will come into it.

Main purpose is to prevent limb failure, causing terminal damage to the trunk. Limb removal isn't an option as its a large part of the trees appeal.

Kevin Moore did a talk for the South East AA branch in bracing and props. I've looked but can't find my notes from the day at the moment but I think he was referring to a lot of US literature with regards to props. Maybe you could contact him as from what I remember there was some useful info in his talk and am sure he would be open for questions

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Kevin Moore did a talk for the South East AA branch in bracing and props. I've looked but can't find my notes from the day at the moment but I think he was referring to a lot of US literature with regards to props. Maybe you could contact him as from what I remember there was some useful info in his talk and am sure he would be open for questions

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thankyou I'll look him up.

I remember proping a large fig years ago when I worked for someone we use a length of 4 inch square box with a hoop bolted to the top and a pin at the base that went into tarmac drive to stop it moving about. Was very good lasted about 10 years then New owners got me to cut the whole thing down but prop was still good.

Edited by woody paul

We have done some propping in the past. We actually made the news papers many years ago after a Mulberry tree for the Shakespear trust split at the base and all 3 limbs ended up on the floor like a banana peel. We lifted the limbs and whilst they were supported we installed props under the limbs. Most important thing is to support the limb in the direction that's needed. We were supporting main limbs with lateral force so the braces were on around 45%. We used 50mm tube concreted into the ground on small pads, these were bolted to steel cups that I had fabricated to fit the profile of the limb. We used this material due to time constraints but did later design and provide a cost for some very nice Oak and wrought iron braces. Apparently though although the tree was VERY important, it didn't warrant £20k spending in it!! If your trying to support a vertical force then use the biggest diameter post or cut a large Oak post as big as you can. Have a cup fabricated to the profile of the limb and simply bolt it to the top. Having looked back at the trees we did (a second one was propped not long after the first) the most important thing is to get the cup to fit the limb. One of our cups was not quite right and you can clearly see how the bark is being forced away and the tree is putting on reactive growth around the support