Anyone here own a sea boat?

karl1991

We have a 14` dory type boat, it came with fish finder, 40hp yamaha outboard ,radio, lifejackets and trailer for about 2k. We only use it to ferry blokes and saws on the river, I dont think I would fancy a sea fishing trip in the thing. Its not that stable on rough river water:w00t:

Bob

imagejpg1_zps9db455f2.jpg

Given the choice at sea I would put more trust in our all steel landing craft, its got buoyancy tanks at both ends and you wont be putting a hole in it.:)

006_zps82a6ab01.jpg

005_zpsd978ae0c.jpg

003_zps2c8302f6.jpg

Like the colour Bob!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got this one just now its sold to a bloke in ireland and my new humber destroyer is on order due to appear on the 10th oct it seems to be up here nobody bothers you go to the slipway chuck your boat in the water hey presto of you go one thing i would definatley recommend is a gps chart plotter depth gauge I've been in places that there a lot of sub surface rocks up the west coast that now i would be without one

IMG_1364.jpg.43b4fd81eb5a50c261206c322bb47eb7.jpg

cool whats the boards on the side of the l/h boat for

They are lee boards. These are roughly 16' long & drop down in the water on the leeward side of the sailing barge and stops it sailing sideways. They are hauled back up using a dedicated crab winch on each tack.

There's an art to dropping them as they go down soooo quickly. The winch operator has to apply the rope brake else teeth get stripped from the winch cogs!

They are handy for manoevering in confined places too as they help give a grip on the water. Being totally flat bottomed a barge likes to go sideways!

These vessels (Thames Sailing Barges) are operated by two or three men & a dog and can carry approx 120 tons of cargo.

codlasher

Roughly 85' in length, 19' wide (beam) & between 6'6'' & 8' internal height. Main cargo hatch is aft of the mast & there is a smaller hatch forward.

In trade the decks near the ships centre were awash when fully loaded.

Here's a picture of SB Dawn working as a 'Stackie' hauling hay to London. This gives a better scale. Dawn is about 80' in length.

codlasher

img.jpg.38857cdd597bde5e29a466c53b267cb8.jpg