Preventing being robbed

Northernarbsupplies

I work for a medium size company and when things have gone missing from the van it was because they left things in there and didn't lock it. Makes you wonder how many times people actually try the door handles of the vans.

So I agree that keep popping out to the van is a good idea. Always lock it. Don't leave kit in the van. If it's not in eye shot, they will get it. We caught some little kid sneaking all the way into a customers drive to get stuff! I thought it was the customers kid until he bolted!

What starscream said, even if you only need the 26 and the van is out of site because you are in a back garden empty the van into the garden, right in the middle of the lawn where you can see it. If you have to park the van out of site and need stuff for an afternoon job but not the morning go back to the yard at lunch and swop kit. Pain in the arse but works for me. That and shed loads of chains, padlocks, wheel clamps etc.

I find motorbike d locks good for power tools during the day when you might be away from your vehicle. D lock through each saw handle then through a welded loop on the vehicle bed. Don't leave anything in your vehicle overnight. I clear our pickups out over night and leave the backs open with the lid up. Better for scum bags to see there is nothing in there rather than smash a window/lock to find out.

For chipper trailer security - put them in a container then fork a jersey barrier/concrete block on front of the door. Butt contains together to reduce side attacks. Weld on a heavy duty loop to the floor just below the axle, chain the trailer axle to this. Makes it really awkward to get in to cut. 12v contact alarm on inside of container doors.

Alarm Mine [H4990] - £13.50 : Henry Krank, Everything for shooters and collectors

just don't forget where you have left them set up, I have found that one of these screwed to the gate, even if not armed is an effective deterrent, maybe they don't like the thought that they may encounter more than they had bargained for, you can use blanks which are black powder and they really do go bang, Iam sure there are some vids on you tube, at my old place I used to find the gate open and the cart fired but nothing more, something about a 12g going off just a few feet away and the ringing in the ears !