chainsaw advice for a novice

Willard

Regardless of whatever chainsaw you get, big or small.... don't under estimate how much difference a sharp chain can make, along with setting the height of the depth gauges (rakers).

RobD (chainsawbars.co.uk) has some great instructional videos.

cheers, steve

I 2nd the stihl ms180,bullet proof little saws,i had one for years and it never missed a beat.A second to that would be the stihl 181 also a great little saw but probably just out of your price range at 200 sheets.

I recently bought a husky 135,and although ive not used it that often id say dont bother,its mediocre at best...problems starting it,feels poorly made and the guidebar is like papermache

I 2nd the stihl ms180,bullet proof little saws,i had one for years and it never missed a beat.A second to that would be the stihl 181 also a great little saw but probably just out of your price range at 200 sheets.

I recently bought a husky 135,and although ive not used it that often id say dont bother,its mediocre at best...problems starting it,feels poorly made and the guidebar is like papermache

My experience of the 135 also.

The 181 is far better.

Great saws to give groundies too.

My friend bought a MS181 about the same time as I bought my 135, his 181 went back because it wouldn't oil (new pump fitted) then it wouldn't tick over and now it's a pig to start. My 135 had a problem with the oil pump drive not disconnecting on tickover but once that was cured it's had no more problems. I wouldn't call either of them mediocre they are capable saws they both do the job well for the price. If I get another saw I would probably go for the Echo CS-310ES, cheaper than both the aforementioned but gets good reviews.

I only use mine for logging firewood and after my aldi special died I was convinced by my local garden machinery store to get a Mitox cs41...... DO NOT do that.

Imo they are total rubbish and I ended up getting a husqavana 135 which it twice the saw and never let me down.

As said above don't forget ppe, I always use rigger boots, chainsaw chaps & hat with ear defenders/face guard.

If you are new to chainsaws I'd also recommend using the rotatech chains as they are so cheep you won't be as bothered if/when you blunt the chain or screw up sharpening 👍

Rob

Horsepowerimages