When your own dog turns on you.

eggsarascal

Ah, understood, I probably should have expanded "only has 2 options" with "only has 2 organic options"...

Training and pack discipline are artificial (but potentially highly effective) elements of domesticated dog ownership which have significantly altered wild dog behaviour.

I'm part way through John Bradshaw's "In Defence of Dogs - Why dogs need our understanding" ISBN 978-1-846-14295-6.

It's not an easy read but I'm soldiering on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dog only has 2 options (fight or flight) when placed in a potentially threatening situation.....

Dog walkers in close proximity, heading towards each other...

Flight option has been removed / reduced because dog is on a lead...

So the dog walker inadvertently increases the risk of fight.

Tough situation you have there Mr Eggs.... Hope it works out ok for you and the fam.

Whilst this makes total sense, i find its a catch 22 situation. Our dog is 'funny' with other dogs particularly in the situation you descibe. I beleive left down to chance he would be far better off the lead. However I'd rather not take the risk of him damaging another dog so keep him on the lead when other dogs are around. The problem of course is that often the oncoming dog who isn't on a lead comes rushing up to him albeit playfully leaving our dog to take the fight path. What do you do really?

Dog only has 2 options (fight or flight) when placed in a potentially threatening situation.....

Dog walkers in close proximity, heading towards each other...

Flight option has been removed / reduced because dog is on a lead...

So the dog walker inadvertently increases the risk of fight.

Tough situation you have there Mr Eggs.... Hope it works out ok for you and the fam.

In total agreement with the leash thing. My mother used to have a terrier that would play with anything, but when it went back on the lead it would go for the dog it had just been running round with.

Whilst this makes total sense, i find its a catch 22 situation. Our dog is 'funny' with other dogs particularly in the situation you descibe. I beleive left down to chance he would be far better off the lead. However I'd rather not take the risk of him damaging another dog so keep him on the lead when other dogs are around. The problem of course is that often the oncoming dog who isn't on a lead comes rushing up to him albeit playfully leaving our dog to take the fight path. What do you do really?

Tell the other owner to get their dog under control. P's me off to be told 'our dog is friendly' when it's winding mine up, running round them yapping:001_rolleyes:

Tell the other owner to get their dog under control. P's me off to be told 'our dog is friendly' when it's winding mine up, running round them yapping:001_rolleyes:

And the "problem" always seems to be associated with the bigger, rather than the smaller dog because public perception sees the big dog as the greater threat. I find reality is very often the exact opposite 😟

And the "problem" always seems to be associated with the bigger, rather than the smaller dog because public perception sees the big dog as the greater threat. I find reality is very often the exact opposite 😟

Yup, it's not the size of the dog that's in the fight, it's the size of the fight that's in the dog!