Echo cs501sx.......what a little cracker

IVECOKID

The most common causes of gearbox failure are lack of grease, they should be pumped full regularly until is squeezes out and fills all cavities. Lack of grease will shag bearings and also knock out gears.

Last Echo that failed had snapped one of the little con rods in the gear box. A relatively easy fix Matt so should be an easy fix. The recoil is probably also an easy one - just strip, inspect, lube and rewind. I run a long reach and conventional trimmer just domestically and have always been good, start well and no issues to date!

Interesting ... In all of this echo is so reliable talk I brought my self a long reach echo hedge cutter about two months ago on Wednesday the gear box on the cutter disintegrated and it's only been used for trimming! The starter cord won't recoil properly and overall I'm not impressed ,Heavy piece of junk with bad vibes my hands are still numb now .

Hi Matty,

I've got a couple of Echo long reach in the multi-tool set up. Although i still prefer them over the Stihl kombi system, I would agree that the Echo trimmer heads are less robust than Stihl and also have a habit of the blades suddenly seizing together, despite regular greasing and oiling, annoying as you then have to dismantle the blades and sand off all residue.

Hedge cutters are the bane of my life, I have to fix them three times as much as the chainsaws. I'm thinking the charging more for hedge-cutting than for tree surgery!

Hi Matty,

I've got a couple of Echo long reach in the multi-tool set up. Although i still prefer them over the Stihl kombi system, I would agree that the Echo trimmer heads are less robust than Stihl and also have a habit of the blades suddenly seizing together, despite regular greasing and oiling, annoying as you then have to dismantle the blades and sand off all residue.

Hedge cutters are the bane of my life, I have to fix them three times as much as the chainsaws. I'm thinking the charging more for hedge-cutting than for tree surgery!

Hedgecutters Bane of everyone's life lol , a old dear ask me to cut the brambles overhanging next doors fence (neighbour moaning) that cost me a new set of blades !!!!!

Ste

Last Echo that failed had snapped one of the little con rods in the gear box. A relatively easy fix Matt so should be an easy fix. The recoil is probably also an easy one - just strip, inspect, lube and rewind. I run a long reach and conventional trimmer just domestically and have always been good, start well and no issues to date!

Was that the first con rod that sits over the casing plate? I had the other snap once and it seems permanently integrated between the gears.

Hi Matty,

Mines the multi tool as well mate, been pumping full of Grease , I do like the fact they have proper nipples on! The starter recoil is a weird one have had apart once and it all seems fine , cleaned it up tensioned it up a bit more and it got worse !

What's with the ignoring the truth thing? I can read the manufacturers spec just fine, so Echo are a little heavier (empty with no bar or chain) and a little less powerful, I get it, so what?

Funny Thing is, CS-501SX is actually lighter than 550XP. The only two measurable parameters that can actually be obvious are max. declared power (=torque at high speeds) and no load acceleration, which comes from AT/regular Walbro with no accelerator pump differences.

Using the approach of very nordic husky fan I can tell "I've seen some serious tests that obviously show 501SX has nearly 10% higher torque traditionally peaking lower and thus giving way broader powerband" but sayin that is equally useless - actual usage tells more as soon as operator gets used to the saw's specifics.

What actually counts in 501SX is the hard-coated piston and two-piece crankshaft that tecnically is way more advanced and reliable than three-piece/bare aluminium.

Oh and PA6-GF plastic is just as brittle as another PA6-GF plastic. The shiny-smooth one is just harder to achieve in mass production.

Troll's arrogance just either shows his lack of knowledge or his praised brand representative's approach at sales trainings. He's too predictable :)

• Like 1

Funny Thing is, CS-501SX is actually lighter than 550XP. The only two measurable parameters that can actually be obvious are max. declared power (=torque at high speeds) and no load acceleration, which comes from AT/regular Walbro with no accelerator pump differences.

Using the approach of very nordic husky fan I can tell "I've seen some serious tests that obviously show 501SX has nearly 10% higher torque traditionally peaking lower and thus giving way broader powerband" but sayin that is equally useless - actual usage tells more as soon as operator gets used to the saw's specifics.

What actually counts in 501SX is the hard-coated piston and two-piece crankshaft that tecnically is way more advanced and reliable than three-piece/bare aluminium.

Oh and PA6-GF plastic is just as brittle as another PA6-GF plastic. The shiny-smooth one is just harder to achieve in mass production.

Troll's arrogance just either shows his lack of knowledge or his praised brand representative's approach at sales trainings. He's too predictable :)

Best post I've read all year :thumbup:

Lol, well that p1553d on someone's bonfire.:thumbup:

I could have inputted some Yama/Kioritz data but it's like banging your head on a brick wall.

Mines the multi tool as well mate, been pumping full of Grease , I do like the fact they have proper nipples on! The starter recoil is a weird one have had apart once and it all seems fine , cleaned it up tensioned it up a bit more and it got worse !

What grease tho? Not pin and bush I hope?!

Data is meaningless when there's sharp edges in the wrong places!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know where they are?:001_smile:

Over so many years I've met quite a number of Shin/446/452s, ECHO CS-500/490/501SX consumer and forestry users (including very critically mooded husky and stihl dealers). They had number of (contradicting) opinions about exhaust direction or chainsaw being too compact lenghtwise (!) but none of them has ever pointed that sharp edge on that case. Where is it? :D