Jap Knotweed...consience v 'walk away'.

leswold

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of info on the net, glyphosate applications and cutting. Onereous re disposal of debris.

I sold a property sometime back and was surprised to see in the conveyance pack special reference to the weed and a request for a JK action plan if it was on site-which it wasn't.

as said before glyphosate stem injection works well, i use a livestock needle and a pointy screwdriver. but please note that the live roots remain active for years, a DEFRA study found it re-emerged after 20 years. The site that i have been working on for the last 15years was an industrial site that was levelled in the 60's, it seems that they bulldozed the knotweed, too, as it keeps appearing in different places on the site.

I spotted some knotweed in a private car park newt to where we were removing a tree. Informed the owners who want a quote for removing it, as well as the NIEA (local environment agency). I was advised to spray it with glyphosate a couple of times a year for at least five years. Was going to remove the stocks a few weeks after spraying and burn them. Any advice on pricing JK removal?

I know Network Rail are working with I think Swansea University to research an organic control measure for JK. Which boils down to, someone went out to Japan to find out why they aren't buried in the stuff. Turns out, JK has its own Aphid, which effectively controls it.

A lot of testing has been undertaken to prove that this Aphid won't cause any problems over here. It only appears to feed on JK, and has/is about to be released on a few test sites. It will be an interesting one to follow.

I also half caught something on the radio the other day, this bloke reckoned he had had success with planting spuds amongst JK. The spuds killing the JK off. Not sure how that would work, I know spuds have natural insecticide but not herbicide...

Did make me wonder if there an Aphid which would control the numbers of politicans...