Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

We're doomed. Time for a new opposition as well as a new government. Seems like only the Greens and Oranges have the right idea.

I’m genuinely curious, can you put up a few of these ideas you think are the right ones. We’ve had two green bought and paid for ministers in Scotland and to be honest they have been ridiculously incompetent. I’d say any government new or existing has what is basically an impossible task to make the numbers balance out after the last few years. 

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

We as a nation seem to allow, or have no option but to allow reets like BLM & Just stop Oil from giving the government the ability and also the will of the people to bring in laws like this. 

If you support the rights of idiots to block roads and prevent people from not only going about their daily business but stop the sick and pregnant from getting to much needed appointments then you're also to blame for whats going on. 

Ive personally allowed myself to be conditioned into accepting these new laws in full knowledge that in the long term it will be detrimental to us all if it means these new wave "protesters" are put back in their box. 

I'm not a fan of the methods of just stop oil mob, extinction rebellion were doing alright until they started preventing people going about their day to day business, I think that they would be more effective in their mission if they were a bit more discreet, I actually, and this is moonbat territory, think that many of their news making exploits  may have been contrived in order to garner public appeal for the Draconian laws they're introducing.

It stands to reason that you'd support anything that prevented you from making a living in the fossil fuel sector, everyone wants to protect their revenue stream.

Irrespective of that, passing laws that essentially ban protest by anybody if the police decide they might cause ructions is to my mind a worrying precedent.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I'm not a fan of the methods of just stop oil mob, extinction rebellion were doing alright until they started preventing people going about their day to day business, I think that they would be more effective in their mission if they were a bit more discreet, I actually, and this is moonbat territory, think that many of their news making exploits  may have been contrived in order to garner public appeal for the Draconian laws they're introducing.

It stands to reason that you'd support anything that prevented you from making a living in the fossil fuel sector, everyone wants to protect their revenue stream.

Irrespective of that, passing laws that essentially ban protest by anybody if the police decide they might cause ructions is to my mind a worrying precedent.

I’m with you on your  “Moonbat” understanding. I quite agree. I fully understand that with every knob-jocky protest that goes against the will of the common man the “powers that be” will use this against us. It’s infuriating in its simplicity.

I was down in Brazil helping deliver Norwegian “renewable” tech to the locals. Was asked to go down this week actually. 

You’d be surprised at how much of my job these days is in renewables or carbon capture. It’s money for old rope and I can tell you, it’s where the money is. God Damn it’s where the money is $$$$. 

So please understand that my POV is not solely from where my living comes from. Look into “Northen Lights” it’s the same tools we run in an oil producing well that gets run in a carbon capture well.  Im doing the same job regardless. 

Regarding  your last paragraph, I wholeheartedly agree. And it’s why I stated what I did in my reply. We’re losing our freedom

inch by inch and that lands purely at the feet of those selfish enough to sacrifice the greater good for their minority hobby

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I’m genuinely curious, can you put up a few of these ideas you think are the right ones. We’ve had two green bought and paid for ministers in Scotland and to be honest they have been ridiculously incompetent. I’d say any government new or existing has what is basically an impossible task to make the numbers balance out after the last few years. 

Here's a few ideas;-

Allow the right to peaceful protest

Tax the fossil fuel barons properly

Insulate homes 

Free school meals

Nationalise water

Build decent quality new housing, not car reliant rabbit hutches with no green space

There's incompetence and then there's thieving incompetence. Whatever colour government we get next, they'll be an improvement on what we've had for the last few years. They've bankrupted us and trashed our global reputation. We'll probably never regain our stature. 

A bit of honesty and integrity will be very refreshing for a start.

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Here's a few ideas;-

Allow the right to peaceful protest

Tax the fossil fuel barons properly

Insulate homes 

Free school meals

Nationalise water

Build decent quality new housing, not car reliant rabbit hutches with no green space

There's incompetence and then there's thieving incompetence. Whatever colour government we get next, they'll be an improvement on what we've had for the last few years. They've bankrupted us and trashed our global reputation. We'll probably never regain our stature. 

A bit of honesty and integrity will be very refreshing for a start.

Peaceful protest is allowed, I protested several times during covid no problem at all. 
Fossil fuel “ Barons” who are they ?? You do know the tax rates applied to the UKCS  don’t you ?? 
I agree in regards insulation but believe you should if you can afford it pay for it yourself. I do recall the cavity wall phase causing a lot of hassle long term to the old colliery houses back in the day. 
School meals ?? Why should they be free ?? ( there is actually no such thing as free in this case, someone has to pick up the cost somewhere) I’m happy to pay for my kids to eat !! Why shouldn’t I if I can afford it. If people can’t then yes free school meals have a place. 
my views on nationalisation of essential industries have been put on here numerous times. 
Stature and global reputation I think you delude yourself on that one and the honesty and integrity you seem to think will appear overnight with a change of government. As for bankruptcy yep the last few years insanity definitely will be a financial burden for many years to come but hey who didn’t like a bit of free money eh 42 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Peaceful protest is allowed, I protested several times during covid no problem at all. 
Fossil fuel “ Barons” who are they ?? You do know the tax rates applied to the UKCS  don’t you ?? 
I agree in regards insulation but believe you should if you can afford it pay for it yourself. I do recall the cavity wall phase causing a lot of hassle long term to the old colliery houses back in the day. 
School meals ?? Why should they be free ?? ( there is actually no such thing as free in this case, someone has to pick up the cost somewhere) I’m happy to pay for my kids to eat !! Why shouldn’t I if I can afford it. If people can’t then yes free school meals have a place. 
my views on nationalisation of essential industries have been put on here numerous times. 
Stature and global reputation I think you delude yourself on that one and the honesty and integrity you seem to think will appear overnight with a change of government. As for bankruptcy yep the last few years insanity definitely will be a financial burden for many years to come but hey who didn’t like a bit of free money eh 42 

Free money? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Not for me mate, no furlough, no grants, no bounce back loans even, nothing. I'm just paying for other people's free money now. A few at the top, supposedly in charge at the time, took a hell of a lot of free money in a few short months.🤷‍♂️

On 15/06/2023 at 06:48, peds said:

It's like you live in a different world.

Is it ?? Is that somewhere where I’m happy to support myself if possible rather than rely on the state ?? My world is largely based upon common sense and pragmatism. 
I find it quite laughable that those of us who remember the previous Labour administration now see people whom seem to think getting rid of tories and replacing them with Starmers crew  is gonna be an answer to every single issue. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Free money? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Not for me mate, no furlough, no grants, no bounce back loans even, nothing. I'm just paying for other people's free money now. A few at the top, supposedly in charge at the time, took a hell of a lot of free money in a few short months.🤷‍♂️

Sorry I forgot you called it 100% on every occasion over the last few years, I remember well your wise words of protest at the folly we witnessed. 🤔