Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Do some research rather than just repeating the question again and again and again and again. That’s what I’d do if no one could be arsed to take me on. It’s probably because you said it was irrelevant to you etc etc hence people treat it as such. 

1 minute ago, Big J said:

Not at all. But to have to jack up the wages of construction workers already on £50k plus, often by £10k or more, is only going to fuel inflation.

Andy, the difficulty is that your perspective is warped by your income. For the great majority of people, their wages are far far lower and they manage OK. If everyone was on your level of income, then inflation would be catastrophic and the UK wouldn't be competitive in any market. 

And also, wages can only go up if economies are made elsewhere. How else would they be paid for except for with end product price rises? I am sure that your average Brexiteer didn't vote leave in order to increase their cost of living.

Yeh, paying someone a wage they can genuinely live on is fueling inflation, let’s completely ignore the obscene profits and transfer of wealth during Covid and now Ukraine, as the real reason. 🙄 Does not fit your narrative. 

I find it insulting that you or others keep mentioning my wages. I earn that wage through personal sacrifice and lengthy periods away from home. I’m also heavily taxed both Norway and the U.K. I drive an old 4x4 and Mill on the side for extra income. I certainly do not live s flash lifestyle or never have to watch spending. I work more, and  earn more so my wife does not have to work and I’m putting a hefty amount away into my pension. I don’t live a glamorous lifestyle by any means. So my POV os not in any way shape or form warmed by my slightly higher than usual take home pay when the above is all considered. 
People manage, that’s it in a nutshell, they manage. They barely get by and it’s getting desperately worse for them, for everyone. Hell, you dipped out of the U.K. for s number of reasons but a huge factor was the price of housing verses the wages you could generate. Yet here you are berating a builder getting an extra £10k a year. 🙄🙄🙄 If anyone has a warped POV I think it’s you. 

“I can’t afford a house in the U.K. so Im leaving. They can’t afford a house in the U.K. either so they bloody better not give a wage that will allow him to do so.” 🙄

When wages have stagnated to the point being on Benefits is a genuine consideration you know the system is screwed. Skilled Trades have had their wages decimated over the decades and that is significantly down to joining the EU and the influx of cheap labour. Surely you can’t deny that? Bouncing skilled labour back to the levels they where 30 years ago is never going to happen but with the Slave labour disappearing since we’ve taken control of our boarders back we seem to be on the right track. 

The cost of living again? 🤣 🙄 Noway, Switzerland, in Europe, not in the EU. Both lower inflation rates. The inflation we’re seeing in the EU, the US and globally is down to Covid and the Ukraine. You desperately want to it to be Brexit and that’s heavily warped your perspective. 

• Like 1

The slave labour your talking about by any chance is that the same as you hear about on the news were farmer's and fruit growers and the like have nobody to do any of the work for them anymore because the foreigners have went home and the majority of the local population think that type of work is beneath them 

25 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Yeh, paying someone a wage they can genuinely live on is fueling inflation, let’s completely ignore the obscene profits and transfer of wealth during Covid and now Ukraine, as the real reason. 🙄 Does not fit your narrative. 

I find it insulting that you or others keep mentioning my wages. I earn that wage through personal sacrifice and lengthy periods away from home. I’m also heavily taxed both Norway and the U.K. I drive an old 4x4 and Mill on the side for extra income. I certainly do not live s flash lifestyle or never have to watch spending. I work more, and  earn more so my wife does not have to work and I’m putting a hefty amount away into my pension. I don’t live a glamorous lifestyle by any means. So my POV os not in any way shape or form warmed by my slightly higher than usual take home pay when the above is all considered. 
People manage, that’s it in a nutshell, they manage. They barely get by and it’s getting desperately worse for them, for everyone. Hell, you dipped out of the U.K. for s number of reasons but a huge factor was the price of housing verses the wages you could generate. Yet here you are berating a builder getting an extra £10k a year. 🙄🙄🙄 If anyone has a warped POV I think it’s you. 

“I can’t afford a house in the U.K. so Im leaving. They can’t afford a house in the U.K. either so they bloody better not give a wage that will allow him to do so.” 🙄

When wages have stagnated to the point being on Benefits is a genuine consideration you know the system is screwed. Skilled Trades have had their wages decimated over the decades and that is significantly down to joining the EU and the influx of cheap labour. Surely you can’t deny that? Bouncing skilled labour back to the levels they where 30 years ago is never going to happen but with the Slave labour disappearing since we’ve taken control of our boarders back we seem to be on the right track. 

The cost of living again? 🤣 🙄 Noway, Switzerland, in Europe, not in the EU. Both lower inflation rates. The inflation we’re seeing in the EU, the US and globally is down to Covid and the Ukraine. You desperately want to it to be Brexit and that’s heavily warped your perspective. 

I do not mention your wage as a mark of disrespect, far from it. You bring it up fairly regularly, and today is the first time I've referenced it.

My point is that your lofty salary (when compared to the UK average), along with the fact that you mostly work offshore, means that you are inevitably going to be a little disconnected from what constitutes normal. Plus Aberdeenshire is a bit odd anyway :D

I agree that some trades need to be paid better. I'd also argue that some need to have their pay cut. There is also the question of productivity and skill. UK workers are often less productive and less skilled. A school that my wife's architecture practice built over ten years ago ran into difficulties when local joiners didn't seem to understand the concept of air tightness and kept breaching the air tightness membrane on an Austrian timber kit. This caused issues.

I don't know what the answer is Andy. Yes, some wages need to go up, some need to come down and there needs to be a general wealth transfer from the top 1% down to the lower echelons. Society is getting progressively less equal and Brexit isn't helping this.

• Like 2