Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, Kimosabi said:

But I'm not talking about those countries you have mentioned I'm talking about the United Kingdom and how we've been better off after Brexit, as i say to me it's irrelevant whether we are in or out i just want to know what have been the positives 

Shhh, they don't like that question. They'd rather answer the question about how it could be better if it had been done differently. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Big J said:

The main benefit, as far as I'm concerned, was the freedom of movement. That didn't actually cost us anything. Quite the opposite - the exodus of EU migrants has left a hole in the workforce, pushing prices up for everyone. 

And it's in the news that the year to June 2022 saw the highest ever recorded net migration number for the UK. I know that Ukraine and Hong Kong were factors, but this notion of Brexit being a route to 'taking back control of our borders' is a fallacy.

I seem to move throughout Europe quite freely. 🤷‍♂️

The loss of Eastern European Slave Labour has had a well reported surge in wages for the  British. Case in point being Lorry Drivers. British workers now have a chance in getting paid a real wage for their labour and if the exodus of people that are happy living on scraps have left then all the better. 

Companies are starting to take on British Apprentices again as it’s not as easy to just import a ready made Eastern European with his Weatabix Box qualifications.  

Pushing prices up. 🙄 Good grief J you sure like to twist things. I travel fairly extensively and prices are up everywhere I go. (But not as high in non-EU Norway as you so kindly pointed out to me ;) ) 

Migration is a total disaster just now, this has nothing to do with Brexit though is it? They’re arriving in Boats FFS. It’s all to do with Politics and nothing to do with Brexit. But you wrote earlier that we’ve lost the Eastern European workforce. Why was that then?  Could it be that we’re now controlling migration? This control of migration is allowing the British people a foothold bank in the Job Market. 

You’re actually selling the plus side of Brexit better than I am. 😁

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Big J said:

Well there is that, but another example would be construction workers. 

I remember my brother saying that they had to dramatically up the wages of construction workers on their engineering site just to keep them as the exodus of European builders meant there was a serious shortfall on the housing developments.

Brickies weren't exactly on minimum wage before hand!

This a bloody good thing though! Paying British people a genuine wage they can thrive and not just survive on has to be a positive surely? 

To think you’re actively wanting to keep the working man in the gutter is quite astounding. 

1 minute ago, Kimosabi said:

But that's still not an answer to the simple question which I asked 

Do some research rather than just repeating the question again and again and again and again. That’s what I’d do if no one could be arsed to take me on. It’s probably because you said it was irrelevant to you etc etc hence people treat it as such. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

This a bloody good thing though! Paying British people a genuine wage they can thrive and not just survive on has to be a positive surely? 

To think you’re actively wanting to keep the working man in the gutter is quite astounding. 

Not at all. But to have to jack up the wages of construction workers already on £50k plus, often by £10k or more, is only going to fuel inflation.

Andy, the difficulty is that your perspective is warped by your income. For the great majority of people, their wages are far far lower and they manage OK. If everyone was on your level of income, then inflation would be catastrophic and the UK wouldn't be competitive in any market. 

And also, wages can only go up if economies are made elsewhere. How else would they be paid for except for with end product price rises? I am sure that your average Brexiteer didn't vote leave in order to increase their cost of living.

8 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

But I'm not talking about those countries you have mentioned I'm talking about the United Kingdom and how we've been better off after Brexit, as i say to me it's irrelevant whether we are in or out i just want to know what have been the positives 

I don’t really care what you’re talking about to be honest. 🤷‍♂️ There’s a bigger picture out there and for someone who claims to be impartial you sure have a heavy inclination. 

To intentionally ignore the fact that two European Nations that chose to remain outwith the EU and have lower inflation rates and prosper greatly without the need to be within the EU shows there’s no actual need to be within the EU and your choosing to claim this is irrelevant is quite telling.

Anyway, I’ve replied to BJ regarding some very real benefits to leaving the EU. 

And have a look back through the various threads for others. Stop expecting to be spoon fed. 🙄