Bats

biggarlogs

Aye your right, all the awareness allows you to do is have a look then call someone qualified.

That's not so, it allows you in some cases to rule out bat roosts without calling an ecologist. That, indeed, was the whole point of the scoping survey being introduced as an option.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I don't think the "Bat Awareness Course" qualifies you to carry out an endoscope survey, from memory I think you need the Bat Handlers Licence, It's a few years since I surveyed for bats but that was the case then. The time of year could have a lot to do with the time constraints as bats could use the smallest of cavitities for "Day Roosts"

You're right it doesn't. I have also done the endoscope training for bat inspection course. I think if you only do the bat awareness training it would tell you clearly not to use an endoscope without the additional training.

Interesting read so far!

Fell within 48hrs?

Is that stipulation as a consequence of the potential hazard from the trees or so as to avoid a change in circumstance post bat survey?

If due to potential hazard, then it might be assumed that the hazard is severe and immediate. If that is the case, and bats ARE in residence, which takes precedence, hazard or bats?

Also, if 2 large trees, are there eligible exemptions from felling licence? If not, how can LA realistically expect acquisition of FL in 48hrs?

Interesting situation. Sounds like the 48hr fell stipulation might be an unrealistic / unachievable "rule" applied by an over keen minor official.

Interesting read so far!

Fell within 48hrs?

Is that stipulation as a consequence of the potential hazard from the trees or so as to avoid a change in circumstance post bat survey?

If due to potential hazard, then it might be assumed that the hazard is severe and immediate. If that is the case, and bats ARE in residence, which takes precedence, hazard or bats?

Also, if 2 large trees, are there eligible exemptions from felling licence? If not, how can LA realistically expect acquisition of FL in 48hrs?

Interesting situation. Sounds like the 48hr fell stipulation might be an unrealistic / unachievable "rule" applied by an over keen minor official.

I don't think that the 48 hours is to do with risk, it's to do wth making sure bats don't take up residence after the survey.

Prevention of danger is a valid exemption from felling license requirement. Removal of risk is a valid exemption from normal bat precautions but only if the risk can't be reduced by other means such as closing off the area beneath the tree until proper bat precautions are taken. Even then measures are required to minimise risk to bats, such as lowering sections.

Does anyone else think bats are over protected. Don't get me wrong, I am a big bat fan, have been a member of a local bat group, mist netted for them, one of my modules at university was on bats, I own a bat detector and did the bat awareness course years ago..

But I can take the dog for a walk on a summer evening and stand around and spot numerous bats. Regularly see them in the back garden. My brothers house has a roost in his roof and my Mum gets them in her garden in London.. Pipistrelles are very common.... But they are afforded the same level of protection as much rarer species..?

Does anyone else think bats are over protected. Don't get me wrong, I am a big bat fan, have been a member of a local bat group, mist netted for them, one of my modules at university was on bats, I own a bat detector and did the bat awareness course years ago..

But I can take the dog for a walk on a summer evening and stand around and spot numerous bats. Regularly see them in the back garden. My brothers house has a roost in his roof and my Mum gets them in her garden in London.. Pipistrelles are very common.... But they are afforded the same level of protection as much rarer species..?

As far as I know, there is no differentiation between the species as to level of protection. A Common Pip has the same level of protection as a Bechstein's. I'm only a beginner though so I will check next time I'm at 'Bat Club' though. :001_smile:

I am unclear what you mean by "the local council has stipulated that a bat survey must be carried out". What is the protection status of the trees and why are the Council involved?

If the tree is protected (TPO) the Council may give permission with conditions but the expectation would be that you would comply with the law regarding protected species and this would be unnecessary as a condition under a TPO. If the work is exempt under "dangerous" the Council is not in a position to enforce conditions as they are not granting permission. If the trees are not protected it is not for the Council to enforce this legislation.

As for best practice, you should be in a position to check for potential bat roosts without the assistance of external parties........it's just too common a position to be in.

We can do it Jake, we have our own licenced bat handler now. Give me a call tomorrow..

Now that's touting for business.

Anyways, all this shows that the industry hardly knows where it stands (occasionally stamps?) on bats and that the new British Standard and microguide have laregly failed to reach the consciousness of the very industry that should be taking it up.

As Jon Heuch says "As for best practice, you should be in a position to check for potential bat roosts without the assistance of external parties........it's just too common a position to be in." But it's having a defense if something goes wrong, or reassuring customers and clients that they are covered, that matters. The OP is probably well able to check that there are no bats just now, but that's not quite what the law says, roosts are protected even when not in use. What the heck, he hasn't even said he wants a survey done.

I'd charge £25, but for only a few times that price he could get trained up himself and do as many as he wants and decided either to charge for them or offer it as a free bonus service.