Waste Carriers License

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was working over a river a couple of weeks ago when my Husky 350 went in for a swim. It was completely submerged in really fast flowing water for about 10 minutes whilst we figured out how to get it back. Eventually we convinced (or was it pushed?) my new groundy to get his ass in there to secure his future work prospects. When we got the saw back we put it on the river bank for 10 minutes to dry out and then it fired up first time. Very impressed.

Hi all

Ian id love to see that letter and then get an explanation of what off cuts are. its very interesting especially when you start pulling down all the regs and stuff.

the situation we are in with waste at the mo is partly domestic and partly EU rules. it is complex and frustraiting for those who work inside the waste industry and those who work outside and are affected like arborsts.

the last time i had advice from the central policy unit of the EA it went along the following line.....

"based on the fact wood chip now carries an EU waste number (differs dependent on parent material), also domestic legislation, and a number of court cases where it was held in the definition of waste that... there is an intent to dispose .... and a separate mechanical process may be needed ie splitting the log. never a mention of off cuts????.

so in the EA & EU opinion woddchip is indeed waste, untill it seems it has been composted, of screened for play chip. this gets grayer because of various exceptions but the EA had done some prosecutions that clarified this.

so then to the £150 or so for 3 years, this is used but the EA to ensure that people are doing the right thing and tipping in the right place.

the EA are now doing more and moor road side stops utilising better technologies to asertain if vehicles have carriers licences. i got a pull a little while back were it was not only EA, but vosa, works and pensions, and HMC&E, all because when a tax disk was filled out a letter number were transposed and ping, then we were asked for all sorts tank dipping and all sorts.

my point to this is we sailed through all of it inc WCL as opposed to getting pasted but the boys and girls in blue.

this then goes on unfortunatley, because when you get to the tip, officially they cannot take your waste unless you can prove u have a waste carriers leicence. so you own a bit of land so u decide to tip there.........

well wood chip less than 1000 tonnes a week/month cant remember in to your place to be stored (not spead as in mulching) is exampt from the waste managment leicence but....... you need to regester as an exampt sight i think it is paragraph 8 ??? registation.

so what do you do, well conform or dont, make your choise, just remmeber that to some extent these rules are there to protect us, make it easier for the EA to procicute pikes who tip in lay bys also to prevent leachates from mass chip storate from contaminting land water etc etc,

and well im all for an easy life, in the end the choise is yours

arbocop