to employ or not to employ

simonm

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like u could afford climbers prices with all that kit!! 😜😜

I don't drink or smoke, been on holiday once since starting the business while my friends are going out larking around ive been working 7 days so its hard earned.

Why will you loose loads of site work? Get a list of 3 subbies or so and try each of them when you need them, one should hopefully be free.

3 is a great number for tree work at times!

Finding good staff is hard work a lot havent got any work in them

Why will you loose loads of site work? Get a list of 3 subbies or so and try each of them when you need them, one should hopefully be free.

3 is a great number for tree work at times!

Finding good staff is hard work a lot havent got any work in them

Ive got 5 weeks work of work from 1 contractor on various sites and an approximate start date for them, unless i can clear some work i wont be able to commit to it and inevitably end up loosing it to another firm.

I have dropped on 2 decent lads atm who will graft, i just dont wanna stagnate and end up in the same place i am in 10 15 20 years time.

Ive got 5 weeks work of work from 1 contractor on various sites and an approximate start date for them, unless i can clear some work i wont be able to commit to it and inevitably end up loosing it to another firm.

I have dropped on 2 decent lads atm who will graft, i just dont wanna stagnate and end up in the same place i am in 10 15 20 years time.

You've hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph, to progress you need a familiar team used to working together and with your kit.

I'm at a similar stage to you and take the view that losing a medium sized job at say £2k due to lack of labour is worse than paying a man for a few weeks of a year where things are a little slow.

At what point did you decide to employ others? the way i see it i can either stay as i am keep ticking over and loose a load of site work or invest in another pair of hands and push for more lucrative jobs :thumbup:

If its site work you need to streamline hire in or buy a telehandler with a timber beak on the front. With one of those romping around on site work you will probably want to drop a guy off the job rather than employ another one.

Bob

If its site work you need to streamline hire in or buy a telehandler with a timber beak on the front. With one of those romping around on site work you will probably want to drop a guy off the job rather than employ another one.

Bob[/QU

How many lads do you have on the books bob? do you keep them all busy?

You've hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph, to progress you need a familiar team used to working together and with your kit.

I'm at a similar stage to you and take the view that losing a medium sized job at say £2k due to lack of labour is worse than paying a man for a few weeks of a year where things are a little slow.

Its like everything else having the balls to take the next step, i have loads of good ideas but end up too busy stuck in a rut to do anything, and the cycle goes on :blushing:

I know what you mean and i feel the same. In the time ive been doing the job theres only been one lad out there whom i would fully employ

I know what you mean and i feel the same. In the time ive been doing the job theres only been one lad out there whom i would fully employ

A lot of that is probably having high expectations, everyone's different some are plonkers, some do nowt but expect everything others get their head down and push on.