Steel for a knife

mickdundee

I am guessing you mean unknown qualities. The properties of the steel used in leaf springs is as well known and understood as any other steel and just as easy to heat treat.

Yes, unknown is what I meant (silly autocorrect). I agree with what you are saying but from reading, I understand that they are not all the same and without knowing exactly what it's qualities are it can't be heat treated properly. It's what's known as a "mystery steel" in knife making as you can't be sure of its composition. Yes file steel can different but they are all very similar and similarly easy to hear treat to make a good knife hence suggesting that a file is the best place to start for any knife maker.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 leaf springs .

Has any of you tried making knives out of old silky blades?

Silky blades are good but need several and a lot of hammer work to get them to thickness and since they are induction hardened you loose those qualities, other than that they make a good fish filleting knife

if you are looking for something fun to hit with a hammer, saw chain makes a good "damask" looking steel.

Yes, unknown is what I meant (silly autocorrect). I agree with what you are saying but from reading, I understand that they are not all the same and without knowing exactly what it's qualities are it can't be heat treated properly. It's what's known as a "mystery steel" in knife making as you can't be sure of its composition. Yes file steel can different but they are all very similar and similarly easy to hear treat to make a good knife hence suggesting that a file is the best place to start for any knife maker.

Most of the people I know that put hammer to anvil use files because they are cheap as chips and in good supply. They accept the limitations if the material and many tailor the blade profile to accommodate the shortcomings

Old files are indeed consistent, consistently the wrong material.

Most of the people I know that put hammer to anvil use files because they are cheap as chips and in good supply. They accept the limitations if the material and many tailor the blade profile to accommodate the shortcomings

Old files are indeed consistent, consistently the wrong material.

Theres nothing wrong with the material files are made from if heat treated correctly. Files are high carbon tool steel, the same material many knives are made from and very similar to 01 tool steel which is one of the most popular steels used in knife making. I'm not trying to be pedantic but the point I am making is that it is a much better steel to start with in knife making than "mystery steels" such as leaf springs or circular saw blades. A files qualities are much better known than the afformentioned, especially older files. Fact is that they are much easier to heat treat properly than unknown steals, hence my suggestion and bias to suggesting an old file as a starting point for any budding knife maker. Don't just take my word for it though. I'm no metallurgist so please, be my guest and have a search in places such as the British blades forum though as that's what I did when I first took an interest in knife making. I'd like to note that I am only commenting from what I have read on the subject when I first began to take an interest in it.

Theres nothing wrong with the material files are made from if heat treated correctly. Files are high carbon tool steel, the same material many knives are made from and very similar to 01 tool steel which is one of the most popular steels used in knife making. I'm not trying to be pedantic but the point I am making is that it is a much better steel to start with in knife making than "mystery steels" such as leaf springs or circular saw blades. A files qualities are much better known than the afformentioned, especially older files. Fact is that they are much easier to heat treat properly than unknown steals, hence my suggestion and bias to suggesting an old file as a starting point for any budding knife maker. Don't just take my word for it though. I'm no metallurgist so please, be my guest and have a search in places such as the British blades forum though as that's what I did when I first took an interest in knife making. I'd like to note that I am only commenting from what I have read on the subject when I first began to take an interest in it.

This "mystery steels" thing is a bit of a workshop misnomer. Vehicle springs need to be and are consistent and predictable, the only difference in response will be due to dimensional differences

Don't take my word for it, try looking it up. I did and found the best place to start was old files.

I have been forging for many years and am familiar so I don't need to look it up, I have seen it before.

I am not saying files aren't a ready source of high carbon steel but I am saying its not the ideal alloy for a knife, it is however common as muck and that's what makes it a popular choice.

What I am saying is that leaf springs are also an excellent source of material but its not in handy little lumps like files

much appreciated Greengui, some members on here are more interested in nit picking other peoples posts and showing off their superior knowledge in all things than actually helping out their fellow members. Sad they have nothing better to do, but that's internet trolls for you!

Its quite obvious that I was wrong in what I said about files and I am sorry . I dont pretend to have superior knowledge of anything . Only speaking from my own experience . I am glad your knife is a success . :001_smile: