Cobra Synthetic Cabling Merits?

jomoco

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then let's set the glaring vulnerability to fire issue aside for now, and focus on another of any tree support system's natural environment, abrasion, shall we?

Are falling limbs branches n hangers common in cabled trees?

If I rubbed a coarse barked branch across a taught polypropylene cable like a violin?

Which would fail first, the EHS cable, or the poly cable?

Again you're rationalizing replacing a highly durable system, with a pitifully frail one.

Jomoco

Then let's set the glaring vulnerability to fire issue aside for now, and focus on another of any tree support system's natural environment, abrasion, shall we?

Are falling limbs branches n hangers common in cabled trees?

If I rubbed a coarse barked branch across a taught polypropylene cable like a violin?

Which would fail first, the EHS cable, or the poly cable?

Again you're rationalizing replacing a highly durable system, with a pitifully frail one.

Jomoco

Most on here would have seen badly or wrongly installed bracing of both types flapping around in the wind .

We have braced large diameter trees with a combination of both, we have used 20ton wide lifting slings coupled to steel rope. Both have a life and will need checking perodically , none of it is fit and forget.

Bob

Most on here would have seen badly or wrongly installed bracing of both types flapping around in the wind .

We have braced large diameter trees with a combination of both, we have used 20ton wide lifting slings coupled to steel rope. Both have a life and will need checking perodically , none of it is fit and forget.

Bob

So abrasion resistance isn't a valid factor to be considered either?

Durability's pretty much a non-issue with you guys eh?

Jomoco

But Cobra state a life expectancy. No? I have seen a lot more poorly installed steel cables than cobra TBH but that could be just that cobra hasn't been around as long. Durability stays within the manufacturers recommendations and period inspections from a qualified arborist.

So did the manufacturer test how long a poly cable can resist the abrasion exerted on it by a forked hanger blowing in the wind each day?

We know an EHS wire cable can withstand such abrasion for years.

Can the poly cable withstand the same abrasive forces for even a week?

Jomoco

Where's the abrasion coming from? The moving stems in the wind? Isn't that what the abrasion strap is for?

My problem with cobra isn't the same as yours. My problem with it is people use it in the wrong situations IMO just for fear that it is invasive to trees.

Where's the abrasion coming from? The moving stems in the wind? Isn't that what the abrasion strap is for?

My problem with cobra isn't the same as yours. My problem with it is people use it in the wrong situations IMO just for fear that it is invasive to trees.

I'm speaking of forked tight V hangers, upside down and trapped on the span of poly cable Jake, blowing and twisting in the wind.

Jomoco

Thanks for the feedback Marc, I appreciate it.

Any signs of cambial engulfment of the termination straps on those ten year old's mate?

Jomoco

Generally no if installed correctly and regularly inspected, like everything poor installation will cause problems.

With regards to fire, I think if the environment you work in has this potential then you need to specify a suitable system, like has been said in the UK it's not an issue we need to deal with.

If a synthetic system was installed in a large tree as primary (not supplementary) support over a high risk target and it failed due to fire and caused harm in a fire risk area that's a poor installation and not a fault of the product.

If large or significant portions of tree over a high risk target require bracing and if that bracing is the only garantee of ensuring it doesn't fail then perhaps other options should be considered.

Generally no if installed correctly and regularly inspected, like everything poor installation will cause problems.

With regards to fire, I think if the environment you work in has this potential then you need to specify a suitable system, like has been said in the UK it's not an issue we need to deal with.

If a synthetic system was installed in a large tree as primary (not supplementary) support over a high risk target and it failed due to fire and caused harm in a fire risk area that's a poor installation and not a fault of the product.

If large or significant portions of tree over a high risk target require bracing and if that bracing is the only garantee of ensuring it doesn't fail then perhaps other options should be considered.

Would the 212K UK house fires between 2013-2014 lead you to only use steel cabling over homes n structures Marc?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456652/Fire_Statistics_Great_Britain_2013-14___PDF_Version_.pdf

Jomoco

Edited by jomoco