bargain of my life to day

gibby marr

The main problems I have with door knockers are,

1. they are unsolicited, why are they calling without an appointment? is what ever they are selling poor quality or stolen?

2. they are untraceable, if I contact someone in the first instance, I can recontact them if there is a problem.

3. they often use intimidation to get a deal.

4. some use cold calling to "case the joint" or check if anyone is home.

I am in no way saying that all people who cold call are criminals, BUT by using this method there is a risk of being associated with them.

Spot on, just the way the pikeys operate down here,

'' Just passing / in your area, was wondering if you had any scrap / wanted to buy some tools...'' etc.

Usually on farms or isolated properties, a stock response if anyone disturbs them in their activities.:sneaky2:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think theres two ways/types of door knockers, depends how the approach is, for example

if i were to see a tree in someoned front garden, deader than dead, posing a hazard to the public, i dont think it would be wrong to knock on the door, inform them of the risk, introduce youre company and leave a card, no pressure, give us a call for a quote, have a good day

but theres the knockers that go cold calling, pressurise the owner you know the sort

and look at it another way, every job you or a reputable company does is one less job for the gypo types

i think theres two ways/types of door knockers, depends how the approach is, for example

if i were to see a tree in someoned front garden, deader than dead, posing a hazard to the public, i dont think it would be wrong to knock on the door, inform them of the risk, introduce youre company and leave a card, no pressure, give us a call for a quote, have a good day

but theres the knockers that go cold calling, pressurise the owner you know the sort

and look at it another way, every job you or a reputable company does is one less job for the gypo types

I have to say i agree with you there josh. I have been looking at a tree at the top of my road shedding limbs for a while now, and have finally plucked up courage to leave a card. I knocked on the door and before i had finished explaining my visit she smiled and said "great, estimate please!!." I told her a figure, and she asked how much to take the whole tree down as she had plans for that part of the garden. I gave her another figure and said i would leave her a card and suggested she get another quote too, and left saying thanks for her time. I also apologised for cold calling. I have done this on one other occasion about a very gig heavily leaning radiata. The guy was a bit cagey with me at first, but after a few minutes of chatting he admitted that he was wary as he had had a lot of (in his words) pikies calling in the past. He took a card and asked me about 3 other trees too, which i subsequently took down. I did feel a bit 'rogue trader' whilst walking up the drive though!!

so as you do i made him think he was geting the best part of the deal so he said he take 2 loads pay for one and give me the saw for the other

Yes I think that it is a bit of a rip off we all know how much a 357 costs, and how much for a load of firewood, you could always (when going back with the firewood) say that the second load will be done for half price then perhaps you will get repeat business. because once his son finds out what he has done he may never be back!.

ive had mine 8yrs not a days trouble with it :thumbup:

I own a 357 and you can have it for 1/2 a load. What a s**t saw. I guarantee the carb is faulty. Swap it for a stihl immediatley to save dissapointment. They really are that bad ha ha

i have run 357s since they stopped making the 254 had about 20 probably and tbh very little problems certainly more issues with stihls

i think there is little between the brands tbh but some saws will always run nicer than others even if you bought 3 new saws all the same 1 will always be the better saw

not getting into a stihl husky debate huskys are better other than the 200T:thumbup:

some of it,s to do with dealers but most is down to the end user

most pay in excess of 10k for a chipper which they sevice and grease ect then pay £400 for a saw and never do regular maintenance like cleaning air filter ect:thumbdown:

if you saw a vehicle you wanted for sale for say 4 grand, and you knew it was 3 grand below its true value, would you go up to the seller and say heres 7 grand??? nope, diddnt think you would

it was a true BARGIN, you dont get bargins by paying the full value of something

well done that man

if you saw a vehicle you wanted for sale for say 4 grand, and you knew it was 3 grand below its true value, would you go up to the seller and say heres 7 grand??? nope, diddnt think you would

it was a true BARGIN, you dont get bargins by paying the full value of something

well done that man

If it was an old person and the car had belonged to their son (so they would not know its true value) then yes I would tell them it was too cheap!!!!!

although we have never knocked on anybodys door we are seriously thinking of calling in with a local chapel, not to tout for work but to tell them about a huge monkey puzzle they have on their grounds which is starting to drop some big limbs and is getting quite dodgy, but its still a bit arkward trying to advise someone without it looking like your looking for work.

was out selling fire wood knocked on the door of an old farm house see if you wanted to buy wood the guy said he would deal me a chain saw for a load thought id have a look BARGAIN 3 year old 357 for a load of mixed hard and soft wood guy told me his son bought it 3 years a go to work in the wood lasted 3 weeks and jacked it in to join the RAF

so as you do i made him think he was geting the best part of the deal so he said he take 2 loads pay for one and give me the saw for the other

did you guys not read the post i never riped him off , he said at 1st chain saw for a load then i sold him the 2nd load

open your eyes when reading guys it helps lol