Getting rid of woodchip

Will Heal

I don't have my own yard to tip woodchip at. I can tip at another tree surgeons yard but it is a good 30 minute drive or more from where I normally work so I have advertised it free on the local Facebook pages. Lots of people want it but it is a pain having to stop to reply to messages and then waiting for people to get back to you. Or then getting there and people saying' oh I didn't want that much' and only tipping half of it. Does anyone else have this problem? And an answer to it?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have my own yard to tip woodchip at. I can tip at another tree surgeons yard but it is a good 30 minute drive or more from where I normally work so I have advertised it free on the local Facebook pages. Lots of people want it but it is a pain having to stop to reply to messages and then waiting for people to get back to you. Or then getting there and people saying' oh I didn't want that much' and only tipping half of it. Does anyone else have this problem? And an answer to it?

Best to find local small farmers/ smallholders/ horticulturists ....as chip is ideal for paths between raised beds and they are likely to take as much as you can offer.

cheers, steve

Best to find local small farmers/ smallholders/ horticulturists ....as chip is ideal for paths between raised beds and they are likely to take as much as you can offer.

cheers, steve

I guess I'm hoping they will see my fb posts, but it just seems to be home owners with tiny drive ways who want no more than a wheel barrow full!

I'll have to ring round some places I guess

One option is to find someone local who is the equivalent of me (or my mum near Dartford) who will always take chip, as much as there is, and doesn't mind what it is. I can handle around 100 tons a year and if there was ever more than I could take, my neighbours would have it. Mum can use about 40 tons a year, which she moves with a shovel and a wheelbarrow! I'm using it to improve moisture retention on an arable field, Mum is using it as mulch around trees. You could well find that local allotment societies will take it for the same reason.

Alec

I guess I'm hoping they will see my fb posts, but it just seems to be home owners with tiny drive ways who want no more than a wheel barrow full!

I'll have to ring round some places I guess

In case you don't already know; there is another inbox on Facebook called 'Message Requests' (greyed out next to 'Recent').... click 'Message Requests' then 'See filtered requests'.

Could be that you have more messages from people there?

Cheers, steve

In case you don't already know; there is another inbox on Facebook called 'Message Requests' (greyed out next to 'Recent').... click 'Message Requests' then 'See filtered requests'.

Could be that you have more messages from people there?

Cheers, steve

Yep, thanks Steve I found that last week

I do the same as you, I have a database of peoples names who have registered an interest in receiving the chip.

When they fill out the form on my site, it auto responds with an email, laying out the terms and conditions.

I.e You must be there to help unload, delivery is for loads between x-y cubic metres, etc etc

Takes away any nasty surprises, its also a great way of getting your name out, meeting people in your local area. Its a chance to make an impression and hand out a business card or two.