Desperately Seeking Walnut.

SidTheShopCat

Greetings fellow craftsmen and woodworkers!

I have just moved back to London after living in the US for about 3 years where i was working as a furniture maker I and am absolutely blown away at the price of American Black Walnut here in England. I was paying 8 Dollars a board foot for rough sawn lumber in Brooklyn and am struggling to find anything reasonably priced thus far..

I have been browsing the internet and checking ebay but can not seem to find any reasonable connections.

I understand that things are different here and the materials are regulated as such and we tend to be more responsible with such species but I would like to ask if i am missing something?

I have a small project in mind that will require about 24 board feet of walnut or three boards around 190cm long, 200cm wide of 5 quarter (25-30mm thick).

Would anyone be able to advise me on how best to achieve this?

Thanks and looking forward to any wisdom,

Sid

Hi...saw this ad the other day on another site,hope it helps.

Walnut I have photographs of this exceptional Walnut tree available. No intention of milling right now.

There is a major union crotch that will make fabulous book-matched slabs

Total length 3.5m

2.3m to major union

Base Heartwood 27 inches, base width 34

probable main bole heartwood around 20 24 with sapwood

Major union heart about 14 overall 18.

We are asking £80 per cubic foot. This is an exceptionally good tree but there is a lot of work to be done with it yet. I'm really taken with the multi-stemmed major union. I know some big bowl people who may want that, it would be a shame to lose the crotch figure though.

It cannot be lifted whole from site, but a portable bandsaw mill could be used and planks extracted. I would imagine the buyer would be best directing the milling.

The asking price includes milling, but carriage and collection is for the buyer unless transport cost is added.

Sorry for the huge advert, we are getting a lot of interest and I want everyone to get as full information as possible.

I would say we would accept around

£1850 for the whole tree, milled in one day.

email me please for photos or see my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/macarbor

Worcestershire

Advert Start Date: 2/3/16

T: 01948 830317

M: 07918 600630

[email protected]

W: : : Holly Cottage Tree Services : :

8 dollars a board foot is roughly £6 for 1 12th of a cubic foot so a cubic foot is about £72 in Brooklyn.

I wouldn't have expected to pay much more than that here. Maybe £80-90.

Thanks for all the replies,

80-90 pounds is quite reasonable if I could find a supplier. Does anyone know any that would deliver/ ship to north London area?

Also arbwork I would be interested in a quote if you could pm maybe?

Cheers all