Micro forestry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a nice machine, but the fact that it can't be towed to site on a normal 3.5t class trailer precludes it from consideration. Grant funding is principally aimed at small scale forestry and I don't think I'd get funding for that. I've always steered clear of grants thus far, but I figure 40% of the purchase cost is worth the effort.

Loading and moving, that's going to go wrong, or end in a disaster.

It's S.O.P for a lot of Hot-Shot forwarder drivers. Why they have a creep speed setting.

That certainly looks quicker than their previous stroke processor. Skilled operator though - looks like a learning curve on the hydraulics.

Any idea what sort of money that is?

Does that make more sense than a roller processor?

Stroke delimber will bust off rougher branches due to the hydraulic torque vs speed of a roller head.

Ages back before I went Purpose-built I was building a 6t excavator as per "light effective harvester" ( google those words under videos) with that Arbro head from FMS. Went to a 7tonner, then an 11 (komatsu), then a 12 (terex) and before you know it a 14t Doosan like Kenny does a lot of conversions on. By that time wilsons had a tidy Doosan with new SP561 head for £90k. Tidy purpose-built's were in reasonably plentiful supply at considerably less so that was that. Spent 18 months figuring out what is the bleedin obvious to any long-in-the-tooth contractor.

Bruunett Forwarder? By far the best thing I ever bought, ever, ever, ever.

It's S.O.P for a lot of Hot-Shot forwarder drivers. Why they have a creep speed setting.

Stroke delimber will bust off rougher branches due to the hydraulic torque vs speed of a roller head.

Ages back before I went Purpose-built I was building a 6t excavator as per "light effective harvester" ( google those words under videos) with that Arbro head from FMS. Went to a 7tonner, then an 11 (komatsu), then a 12 (terex) and before you know it a 14t Doosan like Kenny does a lot of conversions on. By that time wilsons had a tidy Doosan with new SP561 head for £90k. Tidy purpose-built's were in reasonably plentiful supply at considerably less so that was that. Spent 18 months figuring out what is the bleedin obvious to any long-in-the-tooth contractor.

Bruunett Forwarder? By far the best thing I ever bought, ever, ever, ever.

Very true bud :thumbup::thumbup:

Looks like a lot of machine for 10k

It is a lot of machine for £10k, particularly when all the pins and headboard are there to make it back into a forwarder and then the Kesla could be sold if need be. I would do that myself but I'm reluctant to given that the processor was fitted professionally by JCC Engon.

One rather crazy thought I had was to convert it into a firewood processor.. The saw can cut 45cm, there is a "splitting ram", there is a crane etc, et voila... One heavy duty firewood processor!

Right, had a 20 minute phone call with a forester friend, and he explained in detail the issues relating to first thinnings and spruce in this country (my background is primarily hardwoods). In short, hairy bastard spruce, grown too quickly, thinned too late and wolves that require substantial machinery.

So, I'll shelve the harvester/processor idea for a moment, but the forwarder is still a goer. Does anyone have any other suggestions for road towable (as in sub 2.5 tonne unladen weight) forwarders other than Alstor, Kranman and Kinetic?

Why not get a contractor in to do the harvesting and you do the forwarding, it saves taking the risk on buying a unproven harvester in this country on rough hairy spruce, not to mention other hassles of drivers etc, i used to do this system years ago to good effect,

J, You’ll never get 40t per day in first thinnings, particularly at 15cm dbh which will give two pieces 3m chip/pulp if you’re lucky.

- There are 30 pieces 3m to the ton.

- 15 trees to the ton

- 3 mins per tree to fell, sned, cut to length (very optimistic)

- Equals 45 mins to harvest a ton.

- A 10 hour day would give 13 ton a day…and that’s with not one break!

So realistically going to be circa 10t per day harvesting and as TCD says there may be brashing costs too. I also think your figure of £32 per ton roadside for 3m is optimistic, you may be fairly near the Cowie chip plant so lower haulage but it still seems slightly high.

I’ve been there and done that with heart over head thing re small scale forestry and I was doing ok with larger second hand gear until the £/€ really hit prices, fortunately I had a second career which actually pays more with less hassle… Albeit I still miss the woods on clear day.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest you stick to milling – it’s what you know and more to the point there’s higher margin.

Sorry I can’t be more encouraging

Very interesting figures WoodWasp. A friend has a grant approved for a Hypro 300 and has to decide asap whether to go for it. We are working on one estate at present where it could be used and have had enquiries from a few others, all local. Can I ask how you came to those figures please?

It's certainly something I'd consider, and something I already do. I do quite a lot of elm harvesting (about 1500 tonnes of mostly elm in the past year) and always feel like a bit of a spare part on site without a machine to operate. I'm entirely capable of doing the felling, but other people do it better than me.

There are a lot of local estate woodlands with medium sized hardwood where it's going to be mostly a firewood job, but with perhaps 25% by tonnage sawing butts. As it is at the moment on the estate where we live, the woodlands are getting hammered by oversized machinery and seemingly inept cutters. Just does my head in! A forwarder with a lift capacity of a little over a tonne would see most stems extracted in usable lengths without making a mess.