polytunnel's

mitchel

Never had that problem in ours. :confused1:

But if you're drying logs in them, as said, there'll be vents constantly open preventing moisture build up as you're wanting rid of it ASAP

Can you post a link, specification, name or something for the reinforced sheeting you used please.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you post a link, specification, name or something for the reinforced sheeting you used please.

It's only as strong as the joint and unless you have a very sheltered area such as logged on,s walled garden I wouldn't advise using it. Tunnel polythene has uv protection in the mix and is very strong. Probably cheaper as well.

Contact joe at Smith and Jones xl polythene and get the right stuff.

Here you go, (I hope)...

http://www.generationhireandsale.co.uk/hire-and-sale/products/sheeting-debris-netting

Scroll to 'MonarFlex Scaffband....

It's what I used.

But it wasn't in a walled garden, far from it. The wind used to come over the fences, swirl around, wiping out other peoples' tunnels and greenhouses, but ours never moved....

Was sometimes embarrassing coming in a seeing others 'cleaning up' afterwards, and us just 'carrying on' having suffered no damage....:blushing:

Thanks. Did it stretch on the way on over the hoops?

With it having the reinforcing mesh running through it, it wouldn't stretch.

You could pull it tight for when you're securing it and that was it.

After years of use and winds, still no stretch. And if you nicked the plastic (spade / fork etc), the tear wouldn't spread either...

I can drive our forks right through ours (when its not full of sheep) and even with this lot inside, the atmosphere is quite dry

Hi Rod, sounds like yours is a similar size to mine. I've got my sides currently buried but it's to be moved shortly and been thinking of attaching plastic to rails and meshing the bottom like yours when it's rebuilt.

Only think I'm concerned about though is, it's going to an exposed site and wondering how you anchor your hoops down? Obviously don't want the whole thing blowing away!

Mine has "feet" at the bottom of the hoops that you knock in the ground about 10" but doubt these will hold on their own.

Hi Rod, sounds like yours is a similar size to mine. I've got my sides currently buried but it's to be moved shortly and been thinking of attaching plastic to rails and meshing the bottom like yours when it's rebuilt.

Only think I'm concerned about though is, it's going to an exposed site and wondering how you anchor your hoops down? Obviously don't want the whole thing blowing away!

Mine has "feet" at the bottom of the hoops that you knock in the ground about 10" but doubt these will hold on their own.

Most of our tunnels have mesh sides with wind up side vents. All the ground tubes are concreted into the ground even in the middle of multi span ones. We tex screw the hoops to them then. The bottom rail is clamped or bolted to the hoop or ground tube depending on levels. Several ways of doing it but one is a short length of tube with a length of flat welded to it with two holes to take the 4x2 side rails and then weld a nut in the tube so you can wind in a bolt to

clamp onto the hoop. Our tunnels are in a windy valley so that's a proven method which you can buy off the shelf. Windward side can lift from the polythene pull so for extra security tex screw again or bolt if extreme conditions.

You want at least 25ltr of concrete in each hole unless you are very sheltered. Any less could lift out in strong winds

Did it go on tight enough round corners etc or does it flap/drum in the wind?

The sides never flapped in the wind, as when securing, we stapled the sheet to one batten to hold / line up before going over with the other batten to 'sandwich' the sheet in place, same with around the ends / doors.

Also....

Not sure if you can see in the pictures, the start of the uprights are scaff poles banged in the ground - 5ft long knocked in 2 1/2 feet.

Along the top of the bars, you could start the cover there, and below, have mesh with maybe roll down covers?? I've seen some people do it this way...