Wood splitter suitable for a Ford Dexta Tractor?

ricki

The down side to a hydraulic splitter powered by the tractors internal pump is that they can often be quite worn leading to them under performing with initial pressures dropping off as the tractors back end oil warms up and gets thinner.

A self contained splitter will give you constant reliable flow and pressure

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an MF35, same hp as a Dexta and have an Oxdale splitter. This uses the tractor's hydraulics but they also have a version with a pto pump to provide hydraulic power. That would save having to do any work on your hydraulics.

Now, many people would say that the Oxdale is a bit of a toy, but not in my experience. For £500 or so, you get a half-decent splitter that provides up to 10 ton force, depending on the tractor's capacity.

I haven't had anything that it can't handle but obviously large rings need to be nibbled around the edges first, or use an existing crack to open up. I often have beech rings at 30" or so to split, and you soon get the knack of where to start.

I have split with an axe for 30 years and now often say that the Oxdale is the best £500 I've ever spent.

Can't beat it for value, in my opinion.

I would go with a PTO splitter but it might add too much to the cost if you only want a small one. Ryetec make decent splitters and they'll manifacture any size, length and features to order.

Cone splitters are awesome just have to use your common sense like every machine. I know people who have lost tips of fingers on hydralic machine just comes down to common sense really

There is a fundamental difference is that you generally need to be doing something unsafe or dangerous to get hurt with a hydraulic splitter, whereas a cone splitter will attempt to maim or kill you at any time, without reason.

I have an MF35, same hp as a Dexta and have an Oxdale splitter. This uses the tractor's hydraulics but they also have a version with a pto pump to provide hydraulic power. That would save having to do any work on your hydraulics.

Now, many people would say that the Oxdale is a bit of a toy, but not in my experience. For £500 or so, you get a half-decent splitter that provides up to 10 ton force, depending on the tractor's capacity.

I haven't had anything that it can't handle but obviously large rings need to be nibbled around the edges first, or use an existing crack to open up. I often have beech rings at 30" or so to split, and you soon get the knack of where to start.

I have split with an axe for 30 years and now often say that the Oxdale is the best £500 I've ever spent.

Can't beat it for value, in my opinion.

If you are comparing the two tractors be warned the 35 hydraulic piston pump should have more pressure than the dexta, 3000 against 2400 or poss 2500 psi The dexta should have more flow though but it has a gear pump if memory serves, and this type of pump normally wears and loses pressure quicker in my

experience. PTO pump would be best but more expensive.

Gentlemen

Many thanks for taking the time to post so much useful info. I think that when all is taken into account I will go for a splitter which is driven off the pto with an oil reservoir.

I see that Oxdale do a 10t unit for 825+vat, which looks fit for purpose. Any other suggested manufactures would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :thumbup1:

Ricki