Best 7 or 8 ton excavator for forestry work ??

njtimber

Bloke I know has a Terex (Shaef / Atlas) Rubber Duck. Sweet Deutz motor, very reliable, goes everywhere on double wheels and can obviously nip about the lanes. I looked at a 12 tonne Terex zero for a harvester as it had the best flow to run the head and except the long track base, was barely inches bigger than an 8 tonner. Basic cab tho. Volvo, Case all gone small displacement, Kubota ok, Komatsu nice. Would have gone with the Terex if I'd not gone purpose built. Will still get one some day, put a small head on it, get into poxy jobs.

Yanmar have pushed themselves right back into it with their new cab, and the 10 tonne SV100 with two piece boom is currently the best all round package straight from the dealers yard out there, even if it is in a weight class of its own.

Neuson ET90 is absolutely stunning bit of kit and you can get a whole range of extras for them from the factory, plus Neuson are committed to the UK and really going places.

Terex would scare me to death in terms of residual value and just overall reliability.

Kubota/Takeuchi is still the safest all round bet as ultra reliable, well finished and solid performers, but as previously mentioned all are so close now.

Who here has been on JCB's latest offering? Go and shock yourself, I'd buy one of they would work with me on a few mods, but if it was reach you were after their two piece boom model with long dipper is incredible!

If you're not Mulching, how could the Hitachi be overlooked for being a brilliant package and the nicest cab environment?

You could just go on and on!

Ask users and try for yourself, but some of the brochure figures are as accurate as your average Silage Team stood around the red diesel pump at the bar claiming hp figures at "the shaft!"

Eddie.

Ask users and try for yourself, but some of the brochure figures are as accurate as your average Silage Team stood around the red diesel pump at the bar claiming hp figures at "the shaft!"

Eddie.

Thats with out a doubt one of the best qoutes yet Eddie:thumbup1:

Aiden

• Like 1

Yanmar have pushed themselves right back into it with their new cab, and the 10 tonne SV100 with two piece boom is currently the best all round package straight from the dealers yard out there, even if it is in a weight class of its own.

Neuson ET90 is absolutely stunning bit of kit and you can get a whole range of extras for them from the factory, plus Neuson are committed to the UK and really going places.

Terex would scare me to death in terms of residual value and just overall reliability.

Kubota/Takeuchi is still the safest all round bet as ultra reliable, well finished and solid performers, but as previously mentioned all are so close now.

Who here has been on JCB's latest offering? Go and shock yourself, I'd buy one of they would work with me on a few mods, but if it was reach you were after their two piece boom model with long dipper is incredible!

If you're not Mulching, how could the Hitachi be overlooked for being a brilliant package and the nicest cab environment?

Eddie.

Thanks for the info Eddie interesting you mention takeushi ,I've had other people recommend them. I bet if you were buying one it would still be a kubota though ??

Thanks for the info Eddie interesting you mention takeushi ,I've had other people recommend them. I bet if you were buying one it would still be a kubota though ??

Almost certainly not depending if the Bauma show brings an updated 8 tonne machine with the creases ironed out or not?

The Takeuchi edges the Kubota at present, but only for stupid reasons any other manufacturer would have sorted in weeks not years!

Eddie.

On reliability, Iv had 2x Takeuchis that have both done 3 years graft with neither needing any more than basic servicing, oils etc and tracks, Also they are beautifully basic in terms of fit and finish which may suit a forestry enviroment well.... Flat panel glass is easily and cheapily replaceable and the panels are all metal- no nasty plastics to crack and cost a fortune to fix!

Some say that they wear quickly on the pins, but i'm convicnced this is down to lack of grease (being a common hire machine). cos neither neither of mine have worn badly at all- but i'm OTT with the grease:laugh1: