Best first pick up (cheap)

Stoatally

Cheers Bob

The hiluxes I've looked at have been proper tatty but still after good money.

L200 sounded rattly and wasn't sure of its history.

Off to see a ranger in a minute.

I'm fairly handy with a spanner so more tempted with the Landy. For the money I'd save I could possibly afford to get a defender 200tdi engine put in in it and buy a reasonable welder

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Landrovers are like marmite, some people love them and some hate them.

I hate them there uncomfortable, noisey, and far too unreliable to rely on to get you to work everyday, and the chassis rot like mad.

If you want something that will take tons of hammer and still keep going get a hilux.

Mine is a 2.5 d4d and will sit on the motorway at 90 mph all day long empty or loaded.

Just out of interest does it need to be 4x4 and is it purely for work ?

I use a transit double cab tipper for work and it's perfect for everything plus you can get a lot more chip & logs on the back

Edited by R Haigh

Currently it's not for work at all. We moved out to the country and I'm replacing an old Honda civic with something more suitable. I'd like 4x4 for winter and general off road stuff. Pick up to collect firewood and general carting of crap.

In the future I'm looking to start doing some work as a subby groundie, maybe stuff for my self, matte nance, gardening etc so sees like a good idea.

Had a little bit of cash appear so looking for a bit of a useful toy for now that will hopefully become more useful in the future

I love defenders but I think a lot of people don't incorporate "down time ", when they say they can save money fixing it themselves. Maybe that's just me, finding time to bury my head under the bonnet of a Landy most weeks is a mere dream to me. I'd love to be able to do it but it's unrealistic (for me) so I got myself a ranger instead :)

I love defenders but I think a lot of people don't incorporate "down time ", when they say they can save money fixing it themselves. Maybe that's just me, finding time to bury my head under the bonnet of a Landy most weeks is a mere dream to me. I'd love to be able to do it but it's unrealistic (for me) so I got myself a ranger instead :)

Must be annoying, waiting for your car to break down. :001_smile:

Do you sigh with disappointment every time it starts.

That's one of the oddest posts I've read in a long time.

Some one please stop me buying this

I'm really torn, part of me is really very tempted but then the sensible side reminds me I'm mental.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222048346212

Unless you've loads of spare time on your hands, I'd probably leave it where it is.

I would guess it's about at the stage where the patches on the chassis aren't far off equalling the original chassis - the fact the towbar has been removed doesn't fill me with confidence either (why remove it and not refit it if the chassis is sound?).

I think there's better ones out there for that sort of money.

Must be annoying, waiting for your car to break down. :001_smile:

Do you sigh with disappointment every time it starts.

That's one of the oddest posts I've read in a long time.

I read it more that he's a busy man and didn't have time rather than actually wanting to have to fix it