Getting it wrong, but oh so right

Starscream

On Saturday I had 1 job to do and didn't really know how long it was going to take. It was 2 - 3 hawthorns mashed together by ivy to bring down by around 30% retaining the ivy as it acts as a screen from the houses behind. It looked like a nasty job and no matter how hard I tried it wasn't going to look pretty. But it wasn't a case of style over substance, she was worried they were getting big. I digress. She accepted the quote of £330 and I booked her in.

We had the kit in the back garden by 8am and it was back on the van by 10.30!! I smashed it in 2.5 hours but was left feeling rather bad when she handed over the cash. After paying my oppo and dump charge I walked away with about £250 for 2 hours work. Great, but it left a bitter taste as she's a bloody neighbour!! Her house is spitting distance from mine!

Don't get me wrong, that's the value I felt the job was and obviously so did she. It also makes up for the cock ups I've made on some quotes!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Saturday I had 1 job to do and didn't really know how long it was going to take. It was 2 - 3 hawthorns mashed together by ivy to bring down by around 30% retaining the ivy as it acts as a screen from the houses behind. It looked like a nasty job and no matter how hard I tried it wasn't going to look pretty. But it wasn't a case of style over substance, she was worried they were getting big. I digress. She accepted the quote of £330 and I booked her in.

We had the kit in the back garden by 8am and it was back on the van by 10.30!! I smashed it in 2.5 hours but was left feeling rather bad when she handed over the cash. After paying my oppo and dump charge I walked away with about £250 for 2 hours work. Great, but it left a bitter taste as she's a bloody neighbour!! Her house is spitting distance from mine!

Don't get me wrong, that's the value I felt the job was and obviously so did she. It also makes up for the cock ups I've made on some quotes!!

The million dollar question is ........will she use your services again ?????.

Ste

The million dollar question is ........will she use your services again ?????.

Ste

Now that's the right question! I think she might. She asked if I "trim shrubs or is that beneath me?" Which is another bone of contention when they hit me with those lyrics. What?! Over pricing jobs, beneath me? Never!!

A plumber wouldn't of had a bitter taste in his mouth!!

Your not wrong there, plumber's and Roofers' the Stories of prices they have charged some of my Garden Customers leave me with a bitter taste of anger £600 for flushing central heating out , £450 for pointing ridge tiles .

Ste

Your not wrong there, plumber's and Roofers' the Stories of prices they have charged some of my Garden Customers leave me with a bitter taste of anger £600 for flushing central heating out , £450 for pointing ridge tiles .

Ste

Or, as I was told recently, £42,000 for fixing a roof. A bunch of absolute chancers 'pruned' a tree and just so 'happened' to note that a lady's roof was in an allegeded poor state of repair. Pah!

OP, if it comes to it and you feel a little bad then just hand a little back, or offer to do a bit of work for free next time she asks you to do some work for her?