New 50cc saw

markrufrider

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for comparison to the 115, the 115 is lighter and has more power.

I looked a lot on German forums before buying though, and everyone that's used or owns both said they'd take the 5105, so maybe the power rating is more of a paper exercise? (or maybe the figures from 20years ago were measured differently?)

The 115i isn't and wasn't rated at more power than the 5105, it was/is slightly less, as long as the ratings were in the same kind of hp (DIN hp = metric hp). This is brake hp that is measured.

If you have seen the 115 rated in the ol' calculated SAE hp, the numbers would be higher though....:biggrin:

To me the 5105 is too heavy and ungainly for a 50cc saw, so it isn't really an option - but not everyone agree or care.

The inboard clutch design has a lot to do with the ungainliness/bad handling in the woods.

Edited by SawTroll

I'd love to know this summer thing with the 550. Hot or cold mine starts just fine . If the saw has cooled down a bit 2 squirts on the primer bulb and its away. I run mine on a 13 inch bar and I got to say its just a brilliant saw 2 years faultless running and its going in the box with me when I stuffle off this mortal coil

Those who have cared to look in the user manual rarely have any problems with them.

The 115i isn't and wasn't rated at more power than the 5105, it was/is slightly less, as long as the ratings were in the same kind of hp (DIN hp = metric hp). This is brake hp that is measured.

If you have seen the 115 rated in the ol' calculated SAE hp, the numbers would be higher though....:biggrin:

To me the 5105 is too heavy and ungainly for a 50cc saw, so it isn't really an option - but not everyone agree or care.

The inboard clutch design has a lot to do with the ungainliness/bad handling in the woods.

I agree the old SAE and Din HP rating where exaggerated

And your own conclusions should be drawn from use of the said saw

The 115 again is a different saw and from the 5105 as you know the 5105 is much higher rpm , but the 115 has a lower RPM max power and has gains lower down but the 5105 has gains higher so coupled with newer styling works :thumbup:

And again the older style of the 115 works for some but not all iam one who has had one from the start

It's like the predesesor to the ps-420 the 401 , 410 Totaly different but

It works a great seller since its launch all those years ago :thumbup:

I'd like to try an echo, but If i needed a new 50cc saw I'd port a 346. My ported 254 takes loads of pulls to start from cold but starts with one pull every time once warm. It will out cut a 550 and has a great pick up too, and this is a 20+year old saw, the 346 has side chain tensioning and a better chain brake, hence that would be my choice.