New 50cc saw

markrufrider

Hi all I'm after a new 50 cc chainsaw what your recommendations don't fancy the husky after the problems with my 560xp so been looking at the new echo 501sx or if it's possible to get it the dolmar 5105 looks very tempting can anyone on hear get the dolmar apparently it's a bit of a weapon ??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all I'm after a new 50 cc chainsaw what your recommendations don't fancy the husky after the problems with my 560xp so been looking at the new echo 501sx or if it's possible to get it the dolmar 5105 looks very tempting can anyone on hear get the dolmar apparently it's a bit of a weapon ??

If you speak to shavey on here, he supplies everything Dolmar.

I have a couple of 5105's, lovely saws, sturdy built.

No electrickery carbs

No primer bulbs

No decomp buttons

No problems starting hot or cold.

I would say this though, mine arrived with cat exhausts, which I'm not dead keen on. Changed for the cat-free exhaust made the saw run much nicer, then I gutted one of the cat exhaust and opened it up a little and performance is well past my 550xp (which was also exhaust enhanced)

As for comparison to the 115, the 115 is lighter and has more power.

I looked a lot on German forums before buying though, and everyone that's used or owns both said they'd take the 5105, so maybe the power rating is more of a paper exercise? (or maybe the figures from 20years ago were measured differently?)

Edited by Daniël Bos

I did a LOT of brashing with a 5105. Shavey let me try his 115 in the same spruce; I immediately traded the 5105 for a new 115. The outbaord clutch and inner tensioner are a pita but the weight difference made me do it. They are very very close in power and torque terms; so close in fact it's probably only the mix that changes them. My 5105 was a US saw with a CAT muffler so without that it might have felt as free-revving as the 115.

There's a thread I put up called "Out with the new, In with the old" about it.

I don't want to hijack the discussion, I too want want to buy a 50cc saw (sthil ms261 or husqvarna 550xp). I don't need or want a big discussion on which one is better...and I know they both have their issues, but I'm just wondering about these running/starting issues with the 550xp's...have they been sorted out yet in 2016? I'd like to buy one this week, but not sure which one would be best? Or least problematic?